UCF president offers to resign after money mishap

<p>UCF President Dale Whittaker sent a letter offering to resign on Tuesday to the chairman of the UCF Board of Trustees.</p>

UCF President Dale Whittaker sent a letter offering to resign on Tuesday to the chairman of the UCF Board of Trustees.

University of Central Florida President Dale Whittaker offered his resignation to the chairman of the UCF Board of Trustees after criticism over misuse of funding.

Whittaker was criticized for using millions of dollars in leftover operating money on the construction of a new academic building, according to The Associated Press. The university also planned to use millions in leftover operating funds on construction, which violates state rules.

Last week, State House Rep. Randy Fine (R-District 53) suggested shutting down the university for five to 10 years because of the violations, the AP said.

The Board of Governors Chair Ned Lautenbach released a statement thanking Whittaker for his work at UCF.

“I thank President Whittaker for his service to UCF students and wish him well,” the statement read. “My hope is that his decision will be an important step toward rebuilding the university’s trust and credibility.”

UF had a president in a similar situation in January 1998, when former president John Lombardi offered his resignation to the Board of Regents, which used to govern the state’s public universities, according to Alligator archives. Lombardi offered to resign after he made a racially insensitive remark about Adam Herbert, the first black Chancellor of the State University System of Florida.

Historically, UF has not released statements on the status of other public universities under these circumstances and are not expected to release one now, UF spokesperson Steve Orlando said.