It’s quite an interesting spectacle: My dad’s large 6-foot-4 frame rummaging around our garage, mumbling about measurements and fumbling for mischievous screws rolling across the dryer, which has become a makeshift work table.

My dad is building our church’s Christmas play-set. Neighbors have been hearing power saws for weeks.

This is his part in participating in the joy of the season — supporting a pageant that will project his personal beliefs to audiences who come to see it.  

Amidst pressing secular social issues, religion’s positive influence is, perhaps, too easily forgotten.

Innately, the media cover controversy, and controversial topics often naturally stay at the forefront of one’s mind. As a result, religion’s positive effects can slip through the cracks.

The Islamic State is covered constantly by news outlets, and rightfully so. Westboro Baptist Church is at it again this week in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, picketing outside a Catholic church.

An article by Niraj Warikoo from August on USA Today’s website described the response of Muslim leaders in Dearborn, Michigan, to the Islamic State’s actions. Imam Mohammed Elahi of the Islamic House of Wisdom in Dearborn Heights said the Islamic State is made up of “crazy criminals who are abusing our religion.”

That was the third rally in Michigan condemning the Islamic State that was organized by Muslims. Hundreds of Muslims attended each one.

I can personally refute the claims of Westboro Baptist Church, notorious for its disrespectful and hurtful signs. Westboro Baptist Church preaches a message of hate. As a Christian, the God I know is a god of love.

While Christians believe in a just god, they also believe in the grace, mercy and forgiveness extended by him. Westboro Baptist Church’s actions do not reflect Christianity’s principles of truth combined with grace and certainly do not deserve affiliation with a church.

In a Huffington Post article about a Chicago Gay Pride parade from June, a picture is featured snapped by a member of the Marin Foundation, an organization that tries to form bridges between the LGBTQ community and the church.

The picture features a man dressed as Jesus standing in front of the Official Street Preachers, who hold signs that say things like “Homo Sex Is Sin.” The man dressed as Jesus holds a sign that says, “I’m not with these guys.”

Furthermore, religion can influence individuals of a society to act positively.

In late November in San Jose, California, someone left a backpack containing $100,000 in Muslim Burger King owner Altaf Chaus’ restaurant.  He said God had given him a good life, and he might donate the money to charity if no one came forward to claim it.

A local example: Gainesville’s Greenhouse Church aims for 51 percent of its funds to go to missions and the poor.

In between crises and wrongdoings often affiliated with religion, don’t forget the positive effects of faiths, regardless of your affiliation or non-affiliation.

As Christmas lights glisten and my dad hopefully finishes this Christmas pageant set on time, remember that people in this country have freedom to practice any faith they choose.

The positive impacts of their faiths deserve to be remembered.

Lindsay Alexander is a UF journalism sophomore. Her columns usually appear on Wednesdays.

[The views expressed here are not necessarily those of the Alligator.]