Throughout the school year, students are rewarded for their hard work with occasional breaks from the rigors of academia. Following the grueling ends of each semester, we are released from the clutches of term papers, exams and presentations to spend a few precious weeks relaxing and recharging our batteries. 

Like UF and other colleges and universities, Congress takes lengthy breaks,  including one that stretches from the beginning of August through Labor Day. Sure, it’s not all rest and relaxation for members of Congress — especially during campaign season — but fear not: Many of them will take long vacations beginning this week. For all intents and purposes, Congress has done little of significance this year, except point fingers, threaten to sue — or impeach — the president and generally sow the seeds of discontent throughout the country. In effect, they’ve done nothing. 

If that were how you approached school, would you deserve a passing grade for the semester or a vacation? Not likely. For us to earn (or deserve) time away from the grind of school or our jobs, we must put in some effort.

Many, but not all, members of Congress did next to nothing this year, earning a sizable salary on the taxpayer’s dime, and now, they’re going on vacation. While sipping margaritas on the beach, perhaps a few members of Congress will reflect on the last few months — and if we’re being honest, years — and finally figure out why it is that a recent poll showed Congress is less popular than the much-maligned Star Wars character Jar Jar Binks. 

Progress in the U.S. is at a standstill, and it’s not the result of simple ideological arguments over the size and scope of the government: It’s the result of a Congress unable to do its job. A professor once told me that a president proposes and Congress disposes, but it seems that Congress cannot dispose of any proposal, whether that proposal comes from the White House or a fellow member of Congress. It seems that Congress members are so frightened of primary challenges from the ideological fringes of their respective parties that they would rather let Congress act on nothing than compromise and look ideologically weak.  What led to this paralysis? Partisan redistricting is a likely cause. 

Here’s the quick and dirty: The party that controls your state government controls the redistricting process. In Florida’s case, the Republicans have complete control over our Congressional districts. Recently, a federal court reviewed Florida’s Congressional districts and invalidated them, claiming that the districts unfairly benefit Republicans. 

Not one person working in politics found it surprising that the party in power titled redistricting in their party’s favor. However, Florida’s Congressional districts don’t just benefit Republicans. A Democrat that represents Gainesville has an unfair district, too. Congresswoman Corinne Brown’s district — which unfathomably stretches from Duval to Orange County — was also listed a problem district. As a result, Florida will have to redraw Congressional maps at some point in the near future, but certainly not before the November election. 

To give you a different perspective, Democratic Congressional candidates won the 2012 popular vote by more than 1 million votes, yet the Republican majority in the House of Representatives held strong. 

Can you guess why? Partisan redistricting. What we can hope for are districts that accurately represent a local population, providing the voters with a chance to elect someone who represents their community’s best interests in Washington, instead of a political party or ideology.  Districts that veer too far to the left or right are a prime reason why our nation is in a holding pattern, but if we demand fair districts, perhaps we can elect those more interested in serving their constituents than interest groups, ideologically motivated organizations and lobbyists. Perhaps then, we, the people, will reign supreme. Who knows, maybe Congress will actually accomplish something of significance and earn a well-deserved vacation. For now, don’t hold your breath. 

[Joel Mendelson is a UF graduate student in political campaigning. His columns appear on Thursdays. A version of this column ran on page 6 on 7/31/2014 under the headline "Redistricting leads to gridlock in Capitol"]