'Radical Brownies' troop gives hope for the next generation

Some believe that much of the prejudices that plague our society stem from older generations, whose “traditional” values are more often the thinly veiled discriminatory attitudes of a less tolerant time. Younger generations are so much more liberal-minded that the “activist college student” stigma is now a tired cliche. Baby Boomers sometimes paint this trend as a passing fad, a collegiate trend that fades with age and, supposedly, wisdom. This dismissive mindset is patronizing, and I find the most likely explanation in the positive correlation between a college education and social liberalism. Younger generations aren’t trendy activists; they’re educated, inclusive and tolerant. The leaders of social justice are continually getting younger, but they are no less aware or invested in the causes they champion.

I found such an instance in a story from Oakland, California, where two queer women of color created a Brownie troop of 8- to 11-year-old girls who promote activism and fight discrimination. These girls call themselves the “Radical Brownies,” and they earn their merit badges through activism and social justice. They participated in the “Black Lives Matter” campaign in support of Ferguson, and they support sisterhood and breaking down oppressive beauty standards.

I cannot help but gush over this incredible display of young activism. With the media painting the youth as disinterested and permissive, girls such as these are breaking barriers and dismissing stereotypes. The troop is overflowing with merit — if you’ll pardon my pun — with their diversity and focus on women of color being just one.

The Radical Brownies prove that times are changing, and they highlight how aware young children are of the political climate. The group is entirely made up of girls of color, and they have already experienced the sting of racism and sexism in their short lives. Each girl has varying opinions on a range of issues, and they are able to discuss and disagree in a way that many adults seem incapable of.

Because these girls have recognized injustice at such a young age, they’re able to block internalized sexism and racism that many others struggle to ignore throughout their lifetime. A badge for “Radical Beauty” is given to girls who can recognize the destructive beauty standards present in our society and realize that beauty comes in endless forms.

Some may argue that enrolling a child in such a troop is a kind of “brainwashing.” I can’t help but roll my eyes. Parents have no qualms about instilling personally held “traditional” religious and political views in their children, but if those views have a left-wing tilt, suddenly it becomes sinister. Yes, children are impressionable, and parents have a great deal of influence on a child’s worldview, but are messages of tolerance and equality so detrimental? Who can soundly protest teaching young girls to love their skin color, appreciate their own beauty, value their accomplishments or support their fellow girls?

Younger generations who embrace tolerance will undoubtedly grow into accepting and open-minded adults, and young activists will demand change with their future votes and voices. My generation is far more active, alert and angry than that of our parents, but a bulk did not become socially conscious until college. I can only imagine the progress that the Radical Brownies will make in their lifetimes, or how many of their peers they will inspire to pursue a similar path of justice and activism.

Amy Coker is a UF journalism junior. Her column appears on Wednesdays.

[A version of this story ran on page 7 on 2/25/2015 under the headline “Radical Brownies troop gives hope for the next generation”]