Trans women of color are overwhelming oppressed, even more ignored

Our current sociopolitical climate is confusing and sometimes paradoxical. I’d like to believe that legislation reflects popular opinion or, at the very least, is protective and just. The shortsighted have praised marriage equality gains as a reliable sign of progress. But many are quick to forget the end of the LGBTQ+ acronym. 

Social equality doesn’t begin and end with gay men — there’s a host of neglected nonbinary people that can’t boast the same “progress.” Transgender women, especially those of color, are some of the most disadvantaged people, facing legal discrimination and unequal targeting of hate crimes. According to a 2013 study by the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, nearly 67 percent of hate violence homicide victims were trans women of color.

We continue to not only ignore the needs of transgender Americans but also allow legislation that blatantly discriminates against them. A law passed in 2012 in Tennessee actively prosecutes transgender people for the so-called crime of using the “wrong” public restroom. Not too long ago, similar laws outlawed marrying someone of the “wrong” gender, yet the same opinionated allies who oppose homophobic laws are often silent on issues of trans rights.

We cannot claim social progress by taking one step forward and two steps back. One positive piece of legislation does not negate the countless discriminatory laws against transgender people. Marriage equality does not justify the criminalization of trans womanhood, and we cannot remain silent while harmful laws and ideologies grow, fed by our compliance.

Actress and activist Laverne Cox has been a powerful voice, bringing to attention many issues of trans rights and black justice speaking as a black trans woman herself. Yet, despite the progress she has made as an actress or the minds she has opened as a speaker, trans women of color are still murdered, policed and shamed for simply existing. Cox continues to express how her success is not reflective of the struggle trans women still face, and often shares stories of murdered trans women.

It is often difficult to dissect linking systems of oppression, because they are so intertwined and so impossible to separate. Trans women of color face a tri-fold system of oppression that not only disempowers them but ignores and erases them. 

The story of Leelah Alcorn recently gained viral status — rightfully so — and generated an encouraging public outcry that brought trans issues to the forefront. For once, we were speaking about the incomparable struggle of a trans adolescent and the cruelty of unsupportive parenting and “conversion therapy” without first having to watch an episode of “Orange is the New Black.” Unfortunately, Alcorn’s story was far from fiction, and hardly atypical, as suicide rates for gay and trans youth are uncommonly high. 

While Alcorn’s story was heard loud and clear, the tragic deaths of many trans women of color go unnoticed by the general public and unmentioned by the media. Alcorn’s story was sad — she saw death as the only escape from her unsupportive parents — but what about the stories of CeCe Acoff or Islan Nettles? What about the stories of nonbinary women of color murdered for simply having the audacity to exist?

It’s all well and good to be a champion for same-sex rights, women’s rights or what have you. It makes for pleasant-enough left-wing dinner conversation and stands as the new marker for basic social decency. But until we can recognize that same-sex rights don’t always include everyone and that women’s rights don’t always include everyone, we’re doomed to keep claiming to be on the verge of social progress we can never hope to achieve.  

Amy Coker is a UF English junior. Her column appears on Wednesdays.

[A version of this story ran on page 7 on 2/18/2015 under the headline “Trans women of color oppressed overwhelmingly, even more ignored"]