Review: Toot thumbs up for a flatulent film about what it means to be human

“Swiss Army Man” is a multipurpose movie, meaning something different to each viewer. To me, it was a message about not wasting your life by living in fear. To my mom, it was a message about the importance of speaking up. And to my dad, it was a suggestion to let out his farts more frequently.

But in all seriousness, the most flatulent film I’ve ever seen said the most about what it means to be human: to err, to have flaws and to love.

The main character, Hank (Paul Dano), is about to hang himself on a deserted island when he sees a corpse (Daniel Radcliffe), wash up on shore. To begin the series of comedic pitfalls that Hank encounters, he accidentally steps off his hanging cooler in his excitement, choking himself before his makeshift noose breaks. Slowly, while flatulating constantly, the corpse begins to show signs of life. Hank is forced to re-evaluate what is important in life as he reteaches a horny Swiss Army Man — as Radcliffe’s character Manny is called for his versatility as a compass, axe and flamethrower — how to truly be alive.

Unbridled in its farts and erections, “Swiss Army Man” cannot be described as a crude movie because every toot and image of poop that makes its viewers feel uncomfortable is a message about how every human is connected. The main characters’ discussion of everyone’s poop blending together when they die is not such an appalling notion after hearing dozens rip for an hour and a half. Challenging the conventions of what we consider normal and acceptable, Manny says whatever is on his mind and repeats Hank’s words back to him, which makes them seem much more crazy coming from someone who has no recollection of the world he used to live in.

If you’re in need of a feel-good comedy, I cannot assure you that this is your best choice, with the film’s emphasis on heavy topics about lost loves, being labeled weird and dying. But if you need a film that will be real, that won’t hide its flaws or its farts, then “Swiss Army Man” can definitely do the job.

Emma Green is a UF journalism junior. Her column appears on Thursdays.