In keeping with Florida’s tradition as a gun-friendly state, the Legislature is now preparing a bill that would allow concealed weapons on college campuses. Legislation like House Bill 4001 has been batted around every so often in the Florida House and Senate. For some reason or another, it always fails to become law. Now, signs indicate it might pass the chambers and actually make it to Gov. Rick Scott’s desk.

Although some faculty and students are weary about possibly having concealed weapons on campus, in my estimation, this bill is not a bad idea.

Before I go into the reasons why it is sensible to support this new bill, I will first establish that the bill’s critics will actually get what they ultimately want.

Critics say they don’t want to see weapons on campus. Luckily for them, under House Bill 4001, they will get exactly what they are asking for. Concealed weapons are typically, well, for lack of a better word, concealed. Obscured. Hidden from view. You can’t see them. So, when Carrying Carl brings his weapon on Turlington Plaza, you won’t know it.

Next, critics have declared they don’t want just anyone to bring a gun on campus. Again, fortune smiles in the critics’ favor. Only Floridians with conceal-and-carry permits will be allowed to have a weapon on campus. Joe Schmo cannot willy-nilly carry on campus unless he is approved by the proper authorities. And don’t worry about the mentally ill: Per Florida law, the mentally ill cannot be issued a permit.

Critics also claim they don’t want to hamper the debate of ideas in classrooms with weapons present. This will not happen for two reasons: First, the weapon will be concealed, so you may not know if a gun is actually present. Second, you have probably never thought to yourself, "Thank goodness the campus is a gun-free environment. If it wasn’t, we would never be able to debate ideas." That is a ridiculous train of thought and is clearly untrue.

Finally, critics will say they don’t want Florida campuses to become the new Wild West. Remarkably, that won’t happen either!

Florida is a very gun-happy state. Legal guns owned by law-abiding, good people are everywhere — in churches, in Wal-Mart, on I-75, everywhere — and are legal for that matter. If you are a true believer in having a gun-free society, you shouldn’t ever step outside. But that would also be ridiculous. There are weapons all around us in the state, and most of us never even notice. And that’s a good thing. I have lived in Florida since 2002, and I have never seen a Wild West-like shootout. Allowing law-abiding Floridians an additional space to legally carry a concealed weapon is perfectly reasonable.

Furthermore, Boise State University, the University of Idaho, Colorado State University and a host of other schools allow guns on their campuses. There has not been a single student shot by a student with a conceal-and-carry weapon.

But here’s why the bill is completely sensible: All of us are concerned with campus safety. Campuses are becoming more and more unsafe. Sexual assault occurrences continue to rise. According to the Miami Herald, "Police forces at Florida’s 12 state universities report being understaffed," and "only five campuses have police or armed security." Also, bad people frequently target gun-free environments. Just a year ago, Myron May attempted to kill students in Strozier Library at Florida State University, which is a gun-free campus. If a law-abiding student — not a law-breaking vigilante — feels carrying a weapon on campus will make him or her feel safer, that is perfectly sensible and reasonable.

Additionally, carrying a weapon in a legally permitted manner is constitutionally protected, just as constitutionally protected as voicing opposition to the House bill.

Regardless of whether you support or oppose this sensible piece of legislation, under House Bill 4001, you will get exactly what you want.

Michael Beato is a UF political science senior. His column appears on Mondays.