Removing the Confederate flag is only symbolic of bigger issues at hand

I agree with the South Carolina governor’s position to take down the Confederate flag, as well as the decisions of Wal-Mart, Sears, eBay, the proposal in Mississippi and other such moves. 

The flag was a disgrace in 1861, it was a disgrace when it was raised to oppose civil rights, and it remains a disgrace today as the South looks to the future.

Yes, I understand the history. I have a degree specializing in American history.

It is critical that we do not forget our past, but it’s possible to remember even the darkest hours of our past without celebrating or honoring them.

I also understand the culture. 

Where I grew up, it was commonplace to see the Confederate flag displayed by private individuals, and I see that flag displayed in fraternity houses as well as in rural areas outside the city.

In grade school, I was taught — by perverse logic — that the Civil War was fought over “states’ rights” rather than states’ rights to own slaves. 

I like grits and fishing, and I responsibly own three guns, two of which were passed down to me. I like taking things slow and strive to be gracious and hospitable to others.

I believe many of the individuals who fly this flag mean well. 

One of my favorite expressions I learned growing up was, “it is a poor frog who doesn’t praise his own pond.” 

However, many people view this flag, I think correctly, as a symbol of white supremacy. It does not, nor should it, represent what we love about the South.

To me, that flag represents elites turning generations of poor white folk against black folk. It represents treason; poor men and children sent to die so that Southern elite could own other humans; hundreds of years of oppression that continued well after slavery; and politics of comforting poor whites that they would at least be better off than black people economically and socially.

Do not misunderstand me: The fact this flag is being treated as what it is marks progress, considering that until the 1990s the majority of Americans did not even support interracial marriage, and many of our parents were adults before basic Civil Rights measures were being truthfully upheld in the South — some of them no doubt went to segregated schools. 

Similarly, it was not long ago that the South used to be solidly Democrat until the passage of Civil Rights legislation led to the party realignment that empowered the charming conservative Republicans the South knows today.

However, realize that taking down that flag, while a fine symbolic gesture, is just that: a symbolic gesture. 

It does not put food on the tables of the poor, create good jobs, expand access to education or improve upward social mobility in any material way that promotes true equality of opportunity. It does not correct a culture of mindless violence and tend to the plague of mental illness, nor does it implement some of the less invasive, common-sense gun measures that the vast majority of the country supports. 

This flag issue is superficial and easy in today’s world, which is why it is playing quite well with the politicians and corporations. 

Do not be fooled into thinking these concessions to the social liberals are much more than a way to put off the day that they have to address real issues that are hurting ordinary people. 

Southern Republican elected officials seem to be bowing down to pressure and embracing potential presidential candidate Jeb Bush’s effort to present conservatism with a friendlier, more inclusive face. 

No doubt they believe taking down the safety net while giving more tax cuts to the rich is easier for Americans to swallow when done by happy non-racists. 

For them, this is a small price to pay.

Consider Wal-Mart, one of the first major corporations to recently announce they will no longer be selling Confederate flag paraphernalia. 

The Walton family alone has more wealth than the bottom 40 percent of all Americans. 

It is a safe bet that the Waltons and the rest of the billionaire class are not eager to pay the price necessary to secure the blessings of a more equal society. 

Then again, the fact these concessions are even being made is a sign that perhaps there are more cracks in the cement than we imagined.

The Confederate flags are coming down 150 years too late. 

Take this as an encouraging sign that positive change that would have been unthinkable several years ago can suddenly come to fruition. 

But stay ever vigilant, for the major political battles that lie ahead run deeper than symbolism, and their effect will determine whether we have what it takes to make America the Land of Opportunity for every citizen, regardless of color or the size of his or her pocket book.

Ford Dwyer is a second-year UF Law student.