Meet Joselin: Dancer, sister and your UF Student Body President

Joselin Padron-Rasines
Joselin Padron-Rasines

Hello Gators! My name is Joselin Padron-Rasines and I’m your Student Body president. Even more than that, I’m a Gator.

I made it my mission when I ran in the Spring to be open and accessible to all students, and I hope this column can help serve as an insight into Student Government, as well as be a way to get to know me a bit better.

Even in my position, I am a regular student taking classes, getting ready for graduation and trying to make UF a better place, just like everyone else.

This is my inaugural column with the Alligator, and I will be here monthly to give the Student Body and community a little insight into what it’s like to be SBP and talk about the many things going on in SG.

As a senior political science and international studies major, I appreciate history in the world and in myself.

I was born in Valencia, Venezuela, and moved to the U.S. when I was 6 years old.

Growing up was incredibly fun.

When you have a twin brother who loves to annoy you, it definitely keeps you on your toes.

I also have a 12-year-old sister and she’s definitely fiery, but it’s awesome having a sibling who is years apart. She always reminds me how people can have such unique perspectives on the world.

I can’t imagine the world without my family. I am extremely family-oriented and my mom is my role model. I wouldn’t be the woman I am today without her guidance.

One of my hidden talents is dance, and she sparked my interest in it. I grew up as a flamenco dancer and later studied tap, ballet, pointe and jazz.

That’s what led me to try out for the Sabor Latino Dance Team as a freshman on campus.

I don’t dance as often as I used to, but when music comes on in the SG office, you might catch me shimmying.

Aside from myself, I love representing you: the students.

My favorite part of the job is getting to talk to with you and listening to your stories, what you want to get involved in and figuring out how I can best help in the process.

My job is fueled by you and your interests so I pride myself on being a constant advocate.

Just this week, I was unbelievably inspired when I met a sophomore engineering student at a Freshman Leadership Engineering Group event who spoke so passionately about his new patent in 3-D printing. I feel so honored when I get to meet students like this because I hear about the amazing things happening at UF outside of the SG bubble.

In the past few months, SG has definitely been busy.

We have expanded the hours at Marston Science Library, added six new tables on Turlington Plaza, started converting all-gender bathrooms on campus and opened the Uber pilot program.

Keeping our accountability to students in mind, we have also made SG financial records more public online and started public events with all of the SG officers, where students can come and meet with them in an informal setting.

I am proud to announce next week is the beginning of Sexual Assault Awareness Week.

As Gators, we must realize that "it’s on us" to end sexual assault.

Stop by and see us tabling on Turlington Plaza to learn more about resources on campus concerning sexual assault and how you can take the pledge to end it.

To wrap things up, I know exams are well underway; they have certainly been keeping me busy.

I wish you all the best of luck on them and, of course, good luck to the Gator football team as we take on Ole Miss this weekend.

Come stop by my office or email me at president@sg.ufl.edu.

Chao!

Joselin Padron-Rasines is the UF Student Body president. Her column appears monthly.