‘Created Equal’ makes some women feel less than equal

If you had to make the unfortunate trek through Turlington Plaza last week, chances are you caught an eyeful of the Created Equal movement’s aborted fetus posters and stand-ups lining the walkways. The “graphic images ahead” signs weren’t quite emphatic enough to prepare us for what was there.

Yes, Turlington Plaza is a free speech zone. Neither the university nor anyone else can regulate the content or media expressions of those who assemble there. They may only regulate the time, place and manner. However, none of that means a visual shock-and-awe is in an appropriate or effective method of expressing a belief.

When I entered Turlington Plaza last Tuesday, I wasn’t angry with the Created Equal members. I admire their conviction, and they must be courageous to submit themselves to the hostility of passersby. I wasn’t even angry at the images, though I believe them to be sensationalized. I was angry for every lady Gator who has had an abortion, willingly or not. I was angry for any woman considering one at the time she walked to class Tuesday only to be ambushed by everything she didn’t need to see.

This has nothing to do with being pro-choice, pro-life or pro-anything. Regardless of anyone’s beliefs about abortion — and we all have an opinion there — does anyone feel it is acceptable to make students with abortion experiences feel uncomfortable on their own campus? No matter what the message, presentation is everything. In my opinion, a less-hostile open dialogue would be a more productive model of outreach. There must be another viable medium that doesn’t feel like an ambush. If I were considering abortion, or simply on the fence about my beliefs, these seemingly extremist people are not the ones I would consult.

Created Equal executive director Mark Harrington says his platform targets “the mushy middle,” people who have no strong stance at either end of the abortion debate spectrum.

I don’t believe such an audience exists on a university campus. If you do exist, on-the-fence folks, here’s my message to you: engage in civil, fact-based conversations with multiple people from both sides of the issue. Sharing beliefs and creating an open dialogue about social issues is a fundamental aspect of university life. One beauty of our campus is that it fosters constant exposure to new belief systems. No one here is naïve enough to want protection from opposing views. I imagine we all value them greatly. But this sideshow? It’s all a sensational stunt, an exhibition of the outlandish that serves only to needle young women into feeling guilty.

To the members of Created Equal, thank you for voicing your beliefs and exercising your right to free speech. However, is it too much to ask that women with abortion history or those considering it presently have a peaceful walk across their campus without being confronted by grisly photos of fetuses on coins? Is there not enough humanity in your movement to recognize the benefits of a different approach? Judging from the pamphlets that were available at the exhibit, I know you have other media at your disposal.

Regardless of my abortion views — which have probably become apparent anyway — it’s important to note these images are not from the typical procedure. Traveling pro-life groups are notorious for using photos of late-term abortions carried out for emergency reasons. Those interested should visit http://www.thisismyabortion.com/ for a glimpse of reality.

To the girls this has affected negatively, those with past abortions or those considering them when they saw the posters, I’m so sorry.

Everyone I talked to that day had you in their thoughts, regardless of their personal beliefs.

Katie McPherson is a UF English junior. Her column runs on Tuesdays. A version of this column ran on page 7 on 10/22/2013 under the headline "‘Created Equal’ makes some women feel less than equal"