Restrictions proposed by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and approved by the Board of Health plan to ban the sale of sugary drinks and sodas in containers larger than 16 ounces at restaurants, street carts and entertainment venues in New York City.

However, a group composed of soft-drink industry leaders, and New York restaurants and businesses filed a lawsuit in hopes to overturn the restriction.

Mayor Bloomberg was previously successful in implementing a smoking ban and mandatory disclosure of calorie information at dining establishments in the New York City area.

He and advisers feel the Board of Health has every right and responsibility to see that this regulation passes for the safety of the public.

The businesses involved in filing this lawsuit are extremely bold and seem to disagree to the point of legal action.

Whose argument is more valid?

The Board of Health’s goal is to encourage healthier choices in beverage consumption, and by doing so, to incite a reduction of obesity and related health issues.

Businesses feel they shouldn’t be limited in what they sell and how they sell it for the sake of profit. They also want customer satisfaction to stay high — “consumer freedom,” they call it.

The freedom to drink all the sugary soda you want and not have to go through a hassle to get it, that is.

I personally don’t believe that is how we should show appreciation for the free choice we do have in this country.

Unfortunately, a wide variety of dining establishments and access to all kinds of food and drinks have played a considerable role in health issues resulting from irresponsible dietary habits.

Dining out and dining heavily is extremely popular in our culture. Sometimes people don’t know how much is enough.

Maybe legislation like this should be considered and not seen as absolutely outrageous.

However, if this regulation were to go through, how effective would it really be?

New Yorkers could still have all the soda they wanted. They’d just have to purchase it at a higher overall cost and carry it around in 16-ounce containers. The soda industry and New York beverage and dining establishments are satisfied.

Maybe some will feel embarrassed, self-conscious or financially angered by having to do so and will limit themselves. The Board of Health is satisfied.

Take the couple on a date at the movies. What if they want to share a drink? Considering packaging and lids, is it more environmentally friendly to use one large container rather than two smaller ones?

A friend of mine fell subject to gaining the “freshman 15” during her first year as a college student. Looking back and thinking about it, she cited her successful effort to take complete advantage of unlimited soda refills in the dining halls as a contributing factor.

The soda debate is just one part of a bigger issue.

One thing I’ve learned in my life is that you cannot save everybody. No matter how hard you try to help someone, not every person will take heed to advice or aid that is given with their benefit in mind.

In our society, many people believe that just because they have certain rights and privileges, any type of behavior is acceptable.

We live on the premise of threats and, honestly, sometimes do positive things only because we’re required to.

When federal laws have to stop people from making unwise decisions regarding their personal health and well-being, it says something about our society.

Just make good choices. We should practice our right to make decisions as we please but shouldn’t use it as an excuse for absent-minded, irresponsible or reckless behavior of any sort.

Anayo Ordu is an advertising sophomore at UF. Her column appears on Tuesdays. You can contact her at opinions@alligator.org.