Don’t let poor circumstances define you

As children, we aren’t given a choice of where we grow up, who our parents are or what kind of standard of living we get to enjoy. 

All of those decisions are determined by our parents or simply by fate.

Unfortunately, not all children are born into a loving family with dedicated parents who make enough income to give their children a decent upbringing.

Sometimes, children are born into a broken home with detached parents, poor living conditions, unsuitable neighborhoods that pressure impressionable minds into making poor life choices and many other horrendous things that no child should have to experience.

However, every child eventually reaches a certain level of maturity and understanding that enables him or her to aspire to something better.

Here at UF and at universities all over the country, it is our responsibility as future leaders to ensure that generations after us are given the tools and opportunities they need to better their situations. Organizations like the Boys & Girls Clubs of America are doing this every day.

The mission of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America is “to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.” This mission should be shared by everyone at UF and across the nation who cares about the well-being and futures of younger generations. The work of the Boys & Girls Clubs proves that if you foster and mentor children, especially those who may not receive the attention they deserve at home, they will succeed.

Every year, the Boys & Girls Clubs of America name its National Youth of the Year. This year, that title belongs to Maryah Sullivan.

Sullivan grew up in Orlando and was a member of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida. She recently graduated with a 4.4 GPA from Edgewater High School.

Sullivan is now a freshman at the University of South Florida and is the first in her family to attend college. Her future is bright, but it wasn’t always that way.

Upon receiving her honor as Youth of the Year, Sullivan gave a speech that perfectly summed up what opportunity is all about.

She said, “I witnessed broken doors and glass windows because the police kicked the doors down. I knew how it felt to be forced to move from my home because my stepfather was charged with a felony.”

She obviously grew up in less than desirable settings, but she went on to say, “I’ve been through a lot in my life, but I would never allow any of my circumstances to stop me.”

That is a message we should all remember and should be passed down to children who feel that the world is unfair, that they don’t have a place or that their lives have no value. 

Our goal should be to not allow the circumstances of today to determine who we become tomorrow.

I  believe as Americans, we have unique opportunities to improve ourselves. 

In this country, if you do not like the situation you are in today, you have the ability to change it over time.

Some people may disagree and blame their circumstances on prejudice, misguided government policies or any number of other barriers. 

At the end of the day, the decision to improve ourselves is a decision that only we can make.

Yes, some things are out of our control, especially as children. 

However, people like Maryah are proving that if you want to be better and are given the right opportunities, nothing is impossible.

Nick Eagle is a UF economics and political science senior. His columns appear on Mondays.