On teaching, Twitter and being a Gator

As a first-semester freshman president, I am experiencing everything at UF for the first time. 

It’s intimidating not to know how to find my way around campus but inspiring to discover the wonders of our spectacular university and beautiful campus.

Among my other new adventures: A few weeks ago I sent my first-ever tweet, and last week I attended my first UF class.

I joined undergraduates in professor Steven Noll’s popular Florida History course — AMH 3423 — and learned about the Progressive Era, Gov. Napoleon Broward and the founding of UF.

It was a joy to watch professor Noll as he taught without PowerPoint or handouts, relying on his vast storehouse of knowledge, rapid-fire Q&A lecture style and obviously warm rapport with his students. 

He is clearly a master teacher, and I was reminded why it is such a privilege to be in a community that celebrates learning and great teaching in all disciplines.

There is considerable focus nationally and at UF on science, technology, engineering and math — or STEM — and these disciplines’ importance in driving economic development. 

Although my own area of teaching and research is computer engineering, I have found the courses that made the most difference in my personal life have been in the humanities, arts and social sciences. 

UF offers great teaching and scholarship across the disciplines, all of which contribute uniquely and importantly to our state and global society.

With help from the students on the Alligator editorial board, I learned how to tweet and retweet late last month. 

My tweet about professor Noll’s class was favorited by nearly 100 students and others. 

When I tweeted out a greeting to the newly admitted class of 2019 (#UF19), the hundreds of retweets made very clear the excitement of those admitted into our most selective class ever. 

We had 30,800 applicants for an estimated 6,500 spots next year.

When I retweeted a recent public university national ranking that placed UF at No. 7, more than 500 others on Twitter also expressed their pride. 

Through Twitter, large events and personal meetings, I’m learning that members of the Gator family are vocal and committed in their support for UF and its future — especially our students!

Although I am an amateur at Twitter, it’s already helping me express my enthusiasm for our amazing university. 

I am also working to broadly communicate UF’s high academic stature and our commitment to making a positive and profound difference in the lives of others. The phrases “Gator Nation” and “For the Gator Good” tell everyone that we are a community striving for positive change in the world.

As one of the newest members of this community, I am meeting as many students, staff and faculty as possible. 

If you see me standing in line to get a cup of coffee, looking for a book in the library, cheering at a game or walking across campus, please stop and introduce yourself.  

In the meantime, I hope you will join me on Twitter @presidentfuchs — and see what I learned about the Top 10 Things Only Gators Know.

UF President Kent Fuchs will be contributing a semiregular column.

[A version of this story ran on page 6 on 2/25/2015 under the headline “On teaching, Twitter and being a Gator”]