Midterms and their stresses: Spring Break is almost here

T

his week is the definition of bittersweet for college students. Spring Break is just around the corner, but a few vital obstacles stand in the way of Spring Break destinations and the conclusion of the week. And by obstacles, I mean those dreaded midterms. Whether it be exams, papers or projects, these in-order-to-pass-the-class assessments block any Spring Break fantasies of lying in the sun or skiing down mountain tops from our minds for the days to come.

Because we are now officially halfway through the week, I encourage everyone to keep up the studying and complete any other tasks on your to-do lists for the week. Finish strong.

Midterms are not meant to be simple; rather, they are meant to challenge us to live up to our full potential as students. That, or maybe the process is just a cruel joke professors play on their students. Whatever the purpose, you got into UF for a reason. Don’t let the stress and exhaustion overwhelm you before Spring Break actually begins.

In college, stress seems unavoidable. This is especially true around exam periods. A 2012 study by the American Psychological Association found stress levels in young adults are higher than the social norm. This is because young adults feel pressure to live up to societal expectations and maintain a social life as well. These pressures seem to be heightened around midterm and final exam periods, causing an increase in stress and anxiety levels among students. Stress is not going to make taking exams any easier, nor is it fun to experience before a week of leisure and adventure.

Instead, set a goal to keep stress levels at a minimum for the remainder of the week. Keep in mind time management and positive thinking while completing these goals. I highly encourage students to take advantage of their ability to plan, and access those time management skills from deep within. Sit down the night before and plan specific times to study, take lunch breaks and relax. Organization is the key to success this week.

Consider incorporating some sort of physical activity in your day to help release built-up stress. Even if it is just for 30 minutes at the gym or a quick lap through campus, exercise significantly helps manage stress. Maintaining a healthy diet will also help you this week. Trust me, I love coffee and sugar-filled snacks just as much as the next person, but these types of foods cause you to crash later in the day. And with the pile of work we have to complete before Friday, crashing in Library West at 4 p.m. is the last thing we want to do.

Regardless of whether you choose to adopt any of these suggestions for the next three days, keep in mind that Spring Break is just within grasp. Finish the week off strong and really attempt to keep your stress levels at a minimum until Friday. Not only is it beneficial to your health, but it also gives a sense of accomplishment to carry through to next week. Even if your plans just include binge-watching “Friends” on Netflix, that feeling of accomplishment and beating stress will add to your well-deserved break. If your midterms did not go as planned, at least you got through the rest of the week without any stress-related breakdowns. It’s OK if you did; we’re all entitled to one at least once a semester, but save breakdowns for final exams when stress levels are at an all-time high. No matter the outcome, enjoy your stress-free Spring Break. You deserve it.

If you are searching for more information about how to successfully manage stress, GatorWell further expands on the subject on its website. There are lists of suggestions students might want to consider in order to accomplish the minimum-stress goal.

And in honor of James Franco being on campus today, have a safe Sprang Break, everybody.

Amy Coker is a UF English junior. Her column appears on Wednesdays.

[A version of this story ran on page 7 on 2/25/2015 under the headline “Midterms and their stresses: Spring Break is almost here”]