Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Opinion: Commercial fireworks should be banned

China may have invented fireworks more than 2,000 years ago, but fireworks have been linked to America since the birth of this country. In a letter to Abigail Adams on July 3, 1776, John Adams wrote that the signing of the Declaration of Independence should be celebrated with “... Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more.” While fireworks were once championed by a future president and first lady, they are now advocated by Joe Dirts with butane lighters.

There’s a reason we do not partake in some practices they used to do back in 1776. No wait, there’s a reason we do not, not partake in a lot of the practices they used to do back in 1776. Times change. Although fireworks may have been a tradition to celebrate the birth of this country since its founding, it is time to say farewell to fireworks.

Fireworks are very dangerous, yet they aren’t treated as so. Unlike 240 years ago, anyone with $20 can buy professional-grade fireworks to not only possibly put on a spectacular show, but also hurt themselves and others. According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, 11 firework-related deaths and an estimated 10,500 treated injuries occurred in 2014. Sparklers are the source of the most injuries, and children 5 to 9 years old have the highest rate of emergency-treated injuries. This isn’t what John Adams had in mind.

A view of dumb people hurting themselves as the reason for firework injuries may yield fireworks as a low concern for many on their priority scale. Okay, because there’s another reason that is a main concern of almost all Americans. Even before 1776, the idea of America had to be protected by its citizens from those looking to threaten its existence. But that threat is no longer the British waiting just outside our borders. Today’s threat is anyone looking to make an explosive. In the beginning of July, it could be anyone looking to buy fireworks. If the American government does everything in its power to keep people from attaining the resources to harm others and then turns its back one day each year, counterterrorism efforts the other 364 days may prove to be a moot point. Americans shouldn’t give up all activities that bring enjoyment because they could be used for the wrong reason, but when an activity includes explosives, it’s time to give up that activity.

Stricter firework regulations could be the answer, but they haven’t been effective so far. According to the Florida State Fire Marshal, fireworks that propel themselves into the air or contain more than 100 grams of explosives are illegal. I was almost sure the fireworks keeping neighbors awake through the night weren’t abiding by these regulations, so I journeyed in search of how easy it is to purchase illegal explosives. I only had to drive three miles to George — you know, that local guy under a white tent on the side of the road who sells roses in February, fireworks in July and Christmas trees in December. There I found fireworks that shot up to 200 feet in the air for $15 and fireworks fueled by 500 grams of explosives for $75. Banning fireworks altogether is safer and more effective than wasting money cracking down on sellers of Screaming Meemies.

A firework is basically an explosive propelled into the air. This isn’t the 18th century anymore. Americans can satisfy their inner need for flashing colors and loud noises without “bombs bursting in air.” Giving people explosives that pollute the air, cause millions of dollars in property damage and injure thousands is no longer the way to go. This country has experienced countless changes in the past 240 years. How we celebrate the Fourth of July will have to be added to that list.

Joshua Udvardy is a UF mechanical engineering sophomore. His column appears on Thursdays.