Where would our society be without discrimination?

Often, I like to ask people: How would the history of humanity have been different if discrimination never exited?

Imagine living in the 21st century in a society that never experienced or understood racism, judgment, classism, discernment or exclusion.

A world that, since the Middle Ages, developed equalitarian ideas that allowed everybody to have the same rights and privileges.

Imagine the scientific, technological, social and philosophical advances that this society would have made.

All that time spent creating labels, diminishing ideas that are different and feeding the desire for power and control has been wasted — because nowadays, perspectives are changing.

As a scientist, I like to question myself about the advances that we could have made.

I believe today we would have a better understanding of climate change because we would have learned meteorology from the Mayans.

In medicine, we would have incorporated ancient Native American plant knowledge to treat common diseases. In the field of astronomy, we would be able to track stars and their life cycles if scientists like Galileo were allowed to share their ideas.

Sometimes I wish this world were motivated by knowledge and progress rather than the pursuit of power and control.

For some, this sounds utopian, fantastic and unattainable.

Why? Why do we have to limit what is possible in our society? Why do we have to keep repeating the same degrading trends of our past?

As a member of society, I like to broaden my perspectives, and I have convinced myself that at the end of the day all that matters is what we leave behind.

Companies, big bank accounts, loans, cars, clothes and other materials that make us think we own something just give us a temporary sense of control and possession.

In reality, we are going to be remembered by the things we did for others and the way we affected other lives.

We have come to associate recognition with success. This way of thinking has led phenomena like social media, trends and the craving for attention to push us toward misanthropic behavior.

In other words, we seem to believe having a lot of followers online makes us good and important people.

I challenge you to take three steps back and appreciate your surroundings, realize opportunities for altruism and try to get involved.

If you try to break the cycle and challenge old ideas, you might just find a sense of fulfillment.

Andrea Taboada is a UF microbiology senior. Her column appears on Wednesdays.