On Tuesday, the Florida State University Board of Trustees selected state Sen. John Thrasher as the university’s next president.

Thrasher’s selection was not surprising given his extensive and influential political connections.

Thrasher is currently a co-chair of the re-election campaign for Gov. Rick Scott. The governor appointed a significant number of the FSU board members, many of whom have supported Thrasher in his previous political pursuits.

Of the four finalists for the FSU presidency, Thrasher was the only one without significant academic leadership experience. Not only does Thrasher not have the necessary experience to qualify him for FSU’s presidency, he has demonstrated a fundamental lack of respect for academic and scientific research.

During one of his interviews for the position, Thrasher was asked about his views on the theory of evolution.

His answer? “I have a great faith in my life that has guided me in my life in a lot of things I believe in.”

Thrasher’s answer implies that he rejects the widely accepted scientific theory of evolution in favor of a religious belief in intelligent design and creationism. Although he is certainly entitled to his religious views, someone with such disdain for basic science is not fit to lead a public institution of higher learning.

The creation of high-tech jobs in science and technology will be critical to the growth and development of Florida’s economy in future decades. The foundation for this advanced economy must be provided by the education that students receive at Florida’s public universities.

Granting the presidency of one of the state’s largest public universities to an individual who has rejected some of the most basic and widely accepted principles of modern science is a dangerous step backward for the entire state of Florida.

Beside his utter lack of qualifications, the selection of Thrasher as FSU’s president also disregarded the will of both the university’s faculty and Student Body.

Earlier this month, the FSU Faculty Senate voted 39-23 to oppose Thrasher’s inclusion as a finalist for the spot. Business Insider reported that after an open forum with FSU students, a survey found that only 11 percent of attendees rated Thrasher’s performance during the event as “good.” The vast majority, 87 percent, deemed it “not good” or “below average.”

Thrasher’s supporters claim his political and business connections will help improve FSU’s fundraising prowess and aid in the school’s goal of becoming a top-25 public university.

Unfortunately, Thrasher’s hostility toward academia and his lack of experience in the education sector seem likely to lead FSU in precisely the opposite direction.

The selection of Thrasher as the new head of FSU sets a dangerous precedent as UF searches for a new president of its own.

If UF seeks to continue its ascension toward a top university ranking, the Board of Trustees must be sure to select a president based on the best interests of Gators students and faculty and not based on political clout.