There’s never been a better time to become an Alligator columnist — OK, maybe that’s a hyperbole. Regardless, as we prepare for Fall 2014, we have a lot of unanswered questions: Who will win the Florida gubernatorial election? Will Amendment 2 (that one about medical marijuana) pass? Will voters overturn the Florida gay marriage ban? Will Pitbull do us a favor and just run for governor already?

And even if your interests lie beyond Florida, the Alligator wants to hear from you. If you can meet deadlines and have a bone to pick with the UF student body, inquire now.

If you’re interested in becoming a columnist, you should submit a resume, a brief cover letter explaining why you’d be a good fit for the position and a short explanation of your political persuasion — conservative, liberal, libertarian, socialist, etc. — to opinions@alligator.org. The tentative deadline to apply is Wednesday, Aug. 27 by 5 p.m. Only UF and Santa Fe College students are eligible for columnist positions, which are unpaid.

Please keep in mind that Republican and Democrat are parties, not ideologies.

If you have been previously published or keep a blog, please send three examples of your work. If you have not been published before, you may send two 500- to 600-word writing samples demonstrating what your work for the Alligator would be like.

Applicants should be able to produce articulate, thought-provoking analyses and commentary on current events. Anything is fair game: domestic and foreign politics, pop culture, health, environmental issues, personal finance, sex and relationships, issues facing minority communities and campus and local politics.

We’re looking for strong writers familiar with basic elements of style and who have a passion for deadlines and AP Style. And don’t worry: You don’t have to be a journalism major to be an Alligator Opinions writer. Alligator Opinions seeks a spectrum of voices to fill out the section, so non-journos are encouraged to apply. But know that a sharp sense of humor helps; after all, you’ll catch more flies with one-liners than with vitriol.

And if you don’t make the cut? Never fear! We still strongly encourage you to submit guest columns and letters to the editor. If you have questions about submitting guest columns or letters to the editor, feel free to email opinions@alligator.org.

You have a lot to gain as an Alligator columnist: A portfolio of professional clips with which to impress grad schools/employers/your grandma, an opportunity to sharpen your writing skills and a spot on the staff of the largest student-run newspaper in the United States.

And the Alligator has a lot to gain from you, whether you’re an undergrad or a grad student, poli-sci student or computer engineering major, a Summer B freshman or a last-semester senior. We want to hear just what you have to say.

[A version of this editorial ran on page 6 on 8/5/2014 under the headline "See your opinions in print: Become a Fall 2014 columnist"]