Worstminster Dog Show: Get out and vote, y’all

It’s the year of the underdog. Expect the unexpected.

“A tiny black affenpinscher named Banana Joe won the coveted Best in Show award at the 137th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show on Tuesday,” according to the Los Angeles Times.

“The second ribbon went to Swagger, an Old English sheepdog who was named Reserve Best in Show, or runner-up to the winner,” according to the Times.

Somehow, a dog named Swagger only got second place in a reputable dog show competition. Only second place!

This opens so many doors and opportunities for people to advance in life.

This isn’t at all an allegory to Student Government elections.

“Swagger, a 20-month-old Old English sheepdog, stunned many observers, entering as a ‘class’ dog and defeating far more seasoned competitors to win the herding dog category Monday,” according to the Times. “Swagger was a clear crowd favorite but came in second to Banana Joe in the final judging.”

Bring it on, Swagger. Bring it on, indeed.

“They have a comical seriousness about them,” Ernesto Lara said, according to USA Today. “He doesn’t think he’s funny. He doesn’t know his size or know that he has a pushed-in face. He thinks he’s Mr. America.”

It’s the unassuming ones who enter contests without expecting to win — those are the ones you have to watch out for. It’s the quiet ones who are too busy listening to you to make problems who end up being the best.

Again, not at all referencing the upcoming elections.

“It’s almost indescribable,” Lara said, according to the Times. He described the dog — a member of the toy group — as a “small breed with a big heart.”

What a sweet way to describe, like, anything. OK, OK. We’ll drop the facade. This is basically about the SG elections and how you should never assume what the outcome will be. You have the power. We’re not saying at this moment whom we necessarily want to win or lose. Nope, not at all.

For right now, we’d just like to pose the hypothetical situation of Swagger versus Banana Joe. Think about it.

We have the collective power to change the outcome of any election, by the way — in case you needed a reminder.

“Backstage before the show, there were rows of tables with owners and trainers pampering pooches of all shapes, sizes, breeds and hairstyles,” according to an ABC News article. “Spaniels were combed, poodles were coiffed and Scottish deerhounds were brushed to show-level perfection.”

“I’m still in shock,” said Swagger’s owner, Colton Johnson of Colorado Springs, according to the Times. “This is a hard show for dogs that are seasoned, let alone dogs that have showed just four times.”

We agree. Any competition is pretty nerve-wracking. It’s impressive to even put yourself out there to be judged.

Just never assume the outcome. Keep your hopes up and your expectations low.