Columnists and Cartoonists Wanted For Fall 2014

Fall semester is getting underway, and so is the Alligator’s search for new opinion columnists. The role of the columnist is one of the most important and rewarding positions that the Alligator has to offer.

You don’t have to be a journalism student to apply; we’re seeking a variety of perspectives and opinions that represent the many voices of the UF and Gainesville communities. As for column topics, anything goes: domestic politics, international affairs, the environment, pop culture, sex and relationships. Nothing is off-limits. 

No matter your areas of interest or expertise, strong writing skills, a passion for expressing opinions and an ability to meet deadlines are essential. Basic knowledge of AP Style is also preferred but is not required.

Applications for columnist positions at the Alligator are due this Wednesday by 5 p.m.  and should be emailed to opinions@alligator.org. Your application should include a resume, a brief cover letter explaining your qualifications for the position and a short explanation of your political persuasion — liberal, conservative, libertarian, socialist, etc.

Our goal is to make the Opinions staff as diverse and as representative of Gainesville’s student population as possible.

Applicants who have previously been published or who maintain a blog should submit two or three examples of your work. If you have not been published before, you can send in two 500- to 600-word writing samples demonstrating the work you would produce as a columnist for the Alligator. 

Columnist positions are unpaid and only open to UF and Santa Fe students.

If you enjoy expressing your opinions but don’t want the responsibility of being a weekly columnist, there are a number of options available. The Alligator frequently prints both guest columns and letters to the editor from the UF Student Body. We are dedicated to providing a forum for as many students as possible to express themselves on issues important to our community.

Instructions for submitting guest columns and letters to the editor are printed every day in the Opinions sections of the Alligator and are also located on our website. Feel free to contact opinions@alligator.org with any questions.

If you’re opinionated and also artistically inclined, the Alligator has a place for you, too. We are seeking cartoonists to lend their skills to the Opinions section. To apply for a cartoonist position, email your resume, cover letter and a selection of portfolio samples to opinions@alligator.org.

Being an opinion columnist for the Alligator is one of the most rewarding and beneficial experiences you can have as a UF student. Working as a columnist looks great on a resume and gives you the chance to develop your writing skills and  build a portfolio that is bound to impress prospective employers. 

Becoming an Alligator columnist is as much an investment in your future as it is a contribution to the UF community.  Don’t pass up this extraordinary opportunity; apply to become an Alligator opinion columnist today.

[A version of this story ran on page 6 on 8/25/2014 under the headline "Fall 2014: Columnists and Cartoonists Wanted"]