I was disappointed to read that the majority of student senators gutlessly passed on registering a stance on Amendment 2.

The purpose of these symbolic resolutions is to make a statement, and making a statement only matters if the statement requires a little courage.

There's a reason why resolutions welcoming ESPN College GameDay to campus or resolutions that oppose minus grades are greeted with eye rolls; it's legislative masturbation that requires nothing but a desire to pander.

Amendment 2 has an intangible impact that cannot be ignored. If it passes, the amendment could, and inevitably will, be interpreted as a condemnation of all gay people in Florida and the dismissal of their love as little more than a random perversion. That's demeaning and cruel, and if the Student Senate stood up against it, the symbolism - a reminder that treating people with dignity and decency is universal - would have been small but powerful, especially for the gay students these senators are supposed to represent.

I know it's tough to go on record about a controversial issue, especially for student senators thinking of their careers or political aspirations. But that's what leadership is, and if they can't handle it, they need to make room for those who can.