I was born and raised in Miami. The first time I left for more than a few weeks was to go to Gainesville.

I’m currently taking classes from home and reflecting on my quintessential South Florida summer experiences with nostalgia.

Summers with beaches, sprinklers and inflatable pools in the backyard. 
As I grew older, I attended camps by the water.

First, it was a camp in Coconut Grove my grandparents started and my mom attended when she was little. I canoed, sailed and swam.

In the bay, I saw manatees who would come up to the dock or swim under the boats as we paddled. I fell in love with the plump, whiskered blobs who peaked out of the water eager for some cabbage the camp counselors would sometimes have on hand. They’re still my favorite animal.

My grandpa has always loved the outdoors. He provided me with these experiences, taught me to be brave and encounter nature with appreciation. As a former teacher, he also connected me to words and learning.

We took trips to Sanibel Island where we collected and labeled shells, went on beach walks eagerly trying to spot a dolphin and floated in the ocean finding sand dollars and starfish.

Of course, we had to visit the island’s J.N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge to learn about the creatures and environment we were visiting. It’s where I got my first stuffed animal manatee.

Closer to home, a camp on Key Biscayne taught me about marine creatures while wandering through carpets of sea grass with nets, finding and releasing creatures special to the environment. There were starfish, lobsters, pipefish, seahorses, sea slugs and more. Counselors taught us about appreciating nature and imparted knowledge about the balance of the environment we were seeing.
There were beach treks past mangroves, snorkeling above a fossil reef, kayaking and paddleboarding.

I also got to digest part of the history of Miami, visit places like the Cape Florida Light and the lighthouse keeper’s preserved cabin from decades before.

There were sandcastles and beach soccer. Most importantly, there was family, friends and learning.

I don’t think I appreciated the truly magical ecosystem and memories I was experiencing while growing up. I took for granted the place I grew up along with the diversity in cultures and water-logged fun I got to enjoy.

I’m lucky I got to learn about endangered and threatened creatures and realize the importance of protecting what’s left of this unique environment.
Part of summer safety is the safety of what’s around you. Florida has so many special creatures who are in trouble, including UF’s own mascot, the American alligator.

You can learn more about South Florida nature and Florida nature at the Florida Museum of Natural History or on their website.
As you enjoy summer fun, in the words of Robert Baden-Powell and the National Parks Project, remember to “leave it better than you found it.”

Sophie Feinberg is a UF journalism junior. Her column comes out Tuesday and Thursday.