Florida suspends three for season opener due to violation of team rules

<p><span>Safety Marcus Maye intercepts a pass during Florida's 31-17 win against Tennessee on Sept. 21, 2013 in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.&nbsp;</span></p>

Safety Marcus Maye intercepts a pass during Florida's 31-17 win against Tennessee on Sept. 21, 2013 in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. 

The Gators will be without three players for the Sept. 5 season opener against New Mexico State.

Redshirt junior safety Marcus Maye, redshirt junior defensive end Alex McAlister and senior wide receiver Latroy Pittman have been suspended for the game against the Aggies due to a violation of athletic department policy, the university announced Friday.

Maye started nine games for the Gators last season, recording 62 tackles and an interception. McAlister played primarily as a backup, but finished the season with six sacks.

Pittman caught 15 passes for 164 yards last season and is expected to provide depth at the wide receiver position for the Gators. He was previously suspended for UF’s season opener against Toledo in 2013. 

Follow Graham Hall on Twitter @Graham311