Notebook: UF's Jelani Jenkins to play with cast against LSU; other injury updates

<p>Junior defensive end Dominique Easley (2) rushes the passer during Florida's 27-14 win against Bowling Green on Sept. 1 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. UF defensive coordinator said Easley, who was nursing a knee injury, is ready to go on Saturday against LSU.</p>

Junior defensive end Dominique Easley (2) rushes the passer during Florida's 27-14 win against Bowling Green on Sept. 1 at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. UF defensive coordinator said Easley, who was nursing a knee injury, is ready to go on Saturday against LSU.

The Gators’ defense will have some reinforcements to help slow down the Tigers’ offense on Saturday.

Starting weakside linebacker Jelani Jenkins, who suffered a fracture in his right thumb against Texas A&M on Sept. 8, is on track to play against LSU, coach Will Muschamp said on Wednesday.

Muschamp does not expect Jenkins to be limited by his cast, which defensive coordinator Dan Quinn said would protect the injured thumb while allowing mobility in some of his other fingers.

“He’ll play in all situations,” Muschamp said. “We wouldn’t necessarily limit him right now in my eyes as we move forward. If he can play, then he can play. That means he can play on first and 10, he can play on third down.”

Freshman Antonio Morrison and sophomore Mike Taylor have filled in for Jenkins. They have combined for 30 tackles on the season, including one for a loss each.

Although Quinn was pleased with the production of the backups, he expects the defense to benefit from

Jenkins’ return.

“Having Jelani back is going to add a lot of value for us,” Quinn said. “One, from an experience standpoint, where he’s played the position and been in it. Two, from an ability to cover. He’s a guy that we certainly match up well when we do our nickel stuff, and he’s a good blitzer.”

Muschamp also said that defensive end Dominique Easley, tight end Jordan Reed and Trey Burton will be active on Saturday. Reed left Florida’s 38-0 win against Kentucky on Sept. 22 with a likely concussion. Burton sat out with back spasms, while Easley missed the game due to swelling in his surgically repaired left knee.

“He needed more time to come back,” Quinn said of Easley. “He’s ready to go, and I’m anxious to get him back out there.”

Defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd also left the Gators’ victory against the Wildcats after suffering a shoulder injury. Floyd practiced during the bye week, and Quinn said on Wednesday that Floyd is expected to play on Saturday.

On Tuesday, offensive coordinator Brent Pease said offensive tackle Chaz Green “should be available” after missing the past two games with an ankle injury.

Cornerback Cody Riggs and offensive tackle Matt Patchan will be out on Saturday, Muschamp said. Riggs suffered a fracture in his foot against the Aggies, and Patchan has yet to play this season due to a pectoral strain.

Mad Hatter: Les Miles has not been shy about using tricks against Florida in recent years.

“They’ve shown they’re willing to take chances,” Quinn said. “That’s a style they have and one certainly they’ve earned by the success they’ve had.”

During LSU’s 41-11 win against UF in 2011, Tigers punter Brad Wing scored a 52-yard touchdown on a fake punt before the play was called back due to an illegal celebration.

In 2010, the Tigers trailed the Gators 29-26 late in the fourth quarter when they lined up for a game-tying 52-yard field goal. Rather than attempting the kick, holder Derek Helton threw a no-look pitch over his head to kicker Josh Jasper, who ran 5 yards for the first down. The Tigers scored the game-winning touchdown later in the drive.

Quinn said the deception shouldn’t be an issue if each player keeps his assignment.

“You just have to be on it in terms of your communication and your job, keeping your eyes in the right spot,” Quinn said.

Ignoring the past: Following last year’s loss to LSU, Florida’s season continued its downward spiral. UF dropped consecutive games against Auburn and Georgia, extending its losing streak to four.

“I feel like last year we were down on ourselves, how we played, how we performed,” guard Jon Halapio said. “We just don’t want to feel like that ever again.”

While the blowout defeat may be tough to forget, Halapio said Florida isn’t letting the memory negatively affect its preparation this time around.

“Everybody has that mentality that it’s Round 2 for everybody that we played last year.”

Contact Josh Jurnovoy at jjurnovoy@alligator.org.