<p>Sports writer Ray Boone</p>

Sports writer Ray Boone

Here comes the Boone

Ray Boone

I have been dreading this moment more than my actual graduation date — saying goodbye to the Alligator sports department.

Four years ago, I never could have possibly imagined the position I’m in now.

For nearly a year-and-a-half, I had the honor of writing for one of the best student newspapers around, and on April 30, I’m set to graduate from one of the top journalism schools in the country.

Like I said, four years ago, I never would have seen this stuff coming.

My first few semesters at UF, I was an accounting major.

Why accounting, you ask? Because money. That’s why.

But for more reasons than I can count — which is probably another reason why I switched to journalism — I left accounting.

I can’t tell you why I chose journalism in particular, but I can tell you it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. And working for the Alligator has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my entire life. It was tough, stressful, fun and hilarious, and with it, my love for sports reporting was solidified, and most importantly, my love for storytelling was brought to life.

The list of who I need to thank is a long one.

First, I have to say thank you to my Heavenly Father, who gave me the will and direction to pursue my dreams. To my church family at the University City Church of Christ, thank you for always supporting me and for all your encouragement over the years — especially you, Donny Dillon.

To Mom, Dad, Caroline, Virginia and Hunter, thank you for loving me unconditionally and for supporting the career path I chose. To my parents, thank you for raising me the way you did. Thank you for all the sacrifice and hard work you put into my upbringing. You made me the man I am today.

I also need to say thank you to Ian Cohen, the sports editor who hired me back in Spring 2016. You alone gave me the single best journalism advice I’ve ever heard: Don’t let your first story be your best story. Every time you write, imagine it’s your final audition.

Thank you so much for pushing me to be the best reporter and storyteller I could be.

And finally, I want to thank the people who actually read my stories. I hope I left an impression.

Now, here comes the hard part.

I somehow have to finish this column.

If you, for whatever reason, are still reading this, you’re in for a real treat.

What can go through the Green Glass Door?

“Eggs” can. “Chickens” can’t.

Ironically, “goodbye” can. So can “farewell” and “cheerio.”

“So long,” however, cannot.

Ray Boone is a sports writer. This column appeared on his last day working at the paper. Contact him at rboone@alligator.org or follow him on Twitter @rboone1994.

Sports writer Ray Boone