Gators softball scores nine, clinches series against Rebels

The Gators wasted no time getting on the scoreboard Saturday.

Florida scored six first-inning runs en route to a 9-1 victory against Ole Miss on Saturday in Gainesville, clinching the weekend series.

For the second time in a row, Moultrie got the offense moving at the top of the order, drawing a leadoff walk.

After a bunt single from Sami Fagan, Rebels pitcher Erinn Jayjohn walked Lauren Haeger and Cheyenne Coyle in back-to-back plate appearances, scoring Moultrie.

Kelsey Horton then grounded out to the pitcher, bringing home Fagan from third.

After Jayjohn walked Bailey Castro to reload the bases, Ensley Gammel picked up an RBI on a sacrifice fly and Katie Medina made the score 5-0 with a two-run double.

After Medina’s drive to the gap in right center, Jayjohn was pulled for Kelly Chandler; Jayjohn lasted just 0.2 innings and faced eight batters.

After allowing an inherited runner to score on a Kasey Fagan single, Chandler retired seven of the next eight Gators she faced.

Then, UF (34-4, 14-2 Southeastern Conference) put the game out of reach.

Kasey Fagan led off the bottom of the fifth inning with a walk, moved to second on a wild pitch and scored on a triple by her sister, Sami Fagan.

Haeger plated Sami Fagan with a one-out double.

Briana Little came on to pinch run for Haeger and advanced to third on another wild pitch pitch by Chandler before scoring via a Cheyenne Coyle groundout to give Florida a 9-1 lead.

While UF was posting its highest run total since a 9-1 victory against South Carolina on March 16, Hanna Rogers and Haeger combined to hold Ole Miss (16-20, 3-10 SEC) to just one run.

The Rebels are the third straight team the Gators have held to one run or fewer.

Rogers (20-2) received the starting nod for a second consecutive time, yielding just one earned run on two hits in four innings of work.

Haeger then came in to close the game in the bottom of fifth, giving up one hit in the final inning.