<p>Jose Kuhlman's 6-2, 6-0, victory on Friday helped the Gators defeat Wisconsin 5-0 in the opening round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.</p>

Jose Kuhlman's 6-2, 6-0, victory on Friday helped the Gators defeat Wisconsin 5-0 in the opening round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships.

On Wednesday, Florida women’s tennis player Josie Kuhlman lost the final set in UF’s match against Oklahoma State, clinching the Cowgirls’ victory. At the first round of the ITA National Team Indoor Championships on Friday, she was an integral part of the Gators’ dominant sweep over Wisconsin.

Florida routed the Badgers 5-0 on their home court at Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin. Kuhlman’s 6-2, 6-0, victory over UW’s Maryann Rompf carried the momentum for the rest of the team in its blowout win.

UF (3-2) controlled the match from start to finish, beginning with doubles play, where the duo of Kuhlman and freshman McCartney Kessler quickly won its match 6-1. The pair of senior Anna Danilina and freshman Victoria Emma followed suit 6-4.

With the Gators up 1-0 and moving into singles play, senior Peggy Porter completed a perfect match against opponent Michelle Linden 6-0, 6-0. Kuhlman’s win then put UF up 3-0, and Emma and Kessler — who were both on match point during Kuhlman’s victory — wrapped up their victories in straight sets moments later to complete the 5-0 blowout over Wisconsin (6-1).

“We played big when it warranted and we held onto the ball when we had to,” Florida coach Roland Thornqvist said in a release. “I was just really pleased with how we competed and ultimately performed today."

UF will play the No. 2 team in the country in Vanderbilt on Saturday in the next round of the tournament. The Commodores are the bracket’s No. 1 seed and defeated Wake Forest 4-0 on Friday.

Despite the Vanderbilt’s talent, Thornqvist asserted that he and his players weren’t focused on their next opponents.

“It doesn't matter who's on the other side of the net, whether it's a high-seeded team or not,” Thornqvist said. “We're going to try and improve every time we play. I'm really proud of our grit and determination. We keep getting better."

Follow River Wells on Twitter @riverwells and contact him at rwells@alligator.org