Florida linebacker commit Hearns eager to return from ACL tear

Football didn’t always come easy for James Hearns.

The Lincoln (Tallahassee, Fla.) linebacker couldn’t find playing time as a young player who preferred the hardwood to the football field.

Hearns rode the bench as one of the youngest players on his team due to his weight.

It all changed once he suited for the Lincoln Trojans.

“When I got to Lincoln and played, that’s when I started to realize I had a chance,” he said.

Hearns transformed into an Army All-American nominee and a state champion.

Although the 6-foot-3, 260-pound behemoth tore his left ACL eight months ago, he participated in summer 7-on-7 tournaments with Lincoln and can’t wait for his senior season.

“I can’t even explain it,” Hearns said. “I’m just so ready to get back out there. I feel like it’s been too long.”

While Hearns expects his Lincoln team, loaded with prospects such as four-star wide receivers Reggie Davis and Taj Williams, to finish undefeated, the rising senior has even higher expectations for the Florida 2013 recruiting class.

“You could be that class and come in and make an impact,” Hearns said.

“To bring this program back to national status would be something that would stick with you for a lifetime. You could be responsible for bringing in the next national championship.”

It’s not all about football for the outspoken future Gator who took into account more than just the opportunity to play in the Southeastern Conference.

“I like the fact that [UF] is not just known for athletics, but it is known academically too,” Hearns said. “Once you graduate and actually have to get a job in the real world being a UF graduate doesn’t look too bad on your resume.”

He committed to the Gators in February, but his potential journey to Gainesville took a comical turn last month when he grabbed national headlines while at a football camp at hometown Florida State.

Hearns announced via his Twitter (@JamesHearns21) on June 16: “I just got ejected for throwing up the gator chomp at Fsu camp.”

The Gator chomp and tweet created a media firestorm, which surprised Hearns, but taught him a lesson.

“When I initially tweeted that, I never meant for any of that to happen,” he said.

This Florida commit is ready to put the recruiting process behind him and prepare for Gainesville.

“You can just focus on yourself as a person and as a team, which really helps a lot to get stuff together your senior year before you’re off in the real world by yourself.”

Hearns plans on visiting the Gators’ Friday Night Lights camp July 27.

“That’s the next camp I will be at for sure,” he said. “I don’t know about anything else.”

What Hearns does know is that the opposition should watch out for his return to the field.

As for what he’ll say to the quarterbacks next season, Hearns said:

“It probably wouldn’t be suitable for an interview, but I definitely have some words for you.”