<p>Freshman McCartney Kessler continued her winning streak with the clinching match against Tennessee on Friday.&nbsp;</p>

Freshman McCartney Kessler continued her winning streak with the clinching match against Tennessee on Friday. 

In the Gators’ match against Georgia on Friday, freshman McCartney Kessler watched the rest of her team lose after scoring the lone point for Florida. Against Tennessee on Friday, she made sure it didn’t happen a second time.

Kessler’s clinching victory sealed UF’s (10-5, 5-1 SEC) bounce back from its loss at the hands of the Bulldogs when it defeated the Tennessee Volunteers (12-5, 0-5 SEC) at Barksdale Stadium in Knoxville 4-1.

Unlike the team’s poor showing against Georgia, Florida wasted no time asserting its dominance in doubles play. The Gators’ first win came on Court 3, where the duo of senior Peggy Porter and freshman Katie Kubicz defeated Tennessee’s Johanna Silva and Gabby Shuck 6-3. Senior Josie Kuhlman and freshman McCartney Kessler finished the Volunteers off on Court 2, where they also won their match by a score of 6-3.

“We played really well, especially at (Court 3) doubles,” coach Roland Thornqvist said in a release. “It was a clean match.”

UF continued its momentum in singles play. Senior Anna Danilina took the first victory for the Gators, dominating the second set and winning her match against Sadie Hammond 6-4, 6-0. Porter followed up by defeating her opponent 7-5, 6-2.

Tennessee managed to stall when the Volunteers’ Johanna Silva defeated Kubicz 6-4, 6-4, but it wasn’t quite enough to stop Florida.

Kessler clinched the match when she defeated her opponent in a closely contested first set and a dominating second set, winning 7-5, 6-0.

“I was happy to see that we had some close first sets in singles and we were able to break away for a much easier second set,” Thornqvist said. “I think that speaks volumes about our energy level, our fitness and our attitude.”

UF will take a three-day break before travelling to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, to face off against the Crimson Tide at 6 p.m on March 22.

Follow River Wells on Twitter @riverhwells and contact him at rwells@alligator.org.