While You Were Gone: Final Four collapse ends historic lacrosse season

Despite making history, the Gators season ended in disappointment.

Florida completed the most successful campaign in the programí's short history, but the Gators still fell two steps short of their ultimate goal: a national championship.

In the Final Four against Syracuse, Florida held a 12-5 lead with less than 12 minutes to play, but lost in overtime. The Orange finished the game on a 9-1 run.

The Gators thought they had won when junior forward Gabi Wiegand scored on a free-position shot with nine seconds left in the first overtime, but the goal was disallowed when the referee ruled the stick's pocket was illegal.

The Orange won with 2:02 left in the second overtime on a goal from Sarah Holden.

Syracuse would go on to lose in the championship to Northwestern, who Florida beat 14-7 in the American Lacrosse Conference Tournament championship game on May 5.

Florida defeated Albany in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament, 6-4, and followed that win with a 15-2 blowout against Penn State to advance to the NCAA semifinals in Stony Brook, N.Y.

Even after the loss to Syracuse, the team has reason for optimism looking ahead to the 2013 season.

The Gators return a 12-member senior class for 2013, including Kitty Cullen, the NCAA's second-leading scorer in 2011, and Tewaaraton Award finalist Brittany Dashiell.

Only graduated forward Caroline Cochran, who missed most of last season with a torn ACL, will not return to the team.

Contact Josh Jurnovoy at jjurnovoy@alligator.org.