<p>Jordan Reed (11) leans against a wall at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium after open practice on Saturday.</p>

Jordan Reed (11) leans against a wall at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium after open practice on Saturday.

Two days after coach Will Muschamp announced Colin Thompson would miss about eight weeks due to surgery on his right foot, the Gators have good news at tight end: Jordan Reed is healthy.

“He’s fine,” offensive coordinator Brent Pease said. “He’s practicing.”

Reed sprained his MCL during Florida’s scrimmage on Aug. 11. Muschamp initially predicted Reed would miss three to four days, but the junior ended up missing more than a week.

“Jordan Reed went through the walk-through this morning and looked good,” Muschamp said Monday. “Hopefully, (we will) get him back maybe in non-contact today.”

Despite missing two games last season, Reed was the Gators’ second-leading receiver with 28 catches for 307 yards and two touchdowns. He is expected to be active for Florida’s opener against Bowling Green on Sept. 1.

Based on Pease’s confusion when asked how Reed’s health had progressed Wednesday, the New London, Conn., native’s well-being shouldn’t have even been in question.

“You guys might be telling me something I don’t know,” Pease said. “Who? Who’s that? MCL? Who’s that?”

Trouble’s A-Foot: When Muschamp addressed the media on Aug. 15 regarding Jeff Driskel’s scapula contusion, there was a minor footnote. At the time, it went unnoticed.

“Mike McNeely, a walk-on who’s going to be a big part of our special teams, fractured his foot and he’ll be out six weeks,” Muschamp said last week.

McNeely, a 5-foot-8 walk-on, had surgery on his foot on Monday. However, the sophomore wide receiver’s name popped up again on Wednesday when offensive coordinator Brent Pease was assessing Florida’s wide receivers.

“It really hurt when Mike McNeely (was injured) because he was having a good camp,” Pease said. “That kid was going to help us.”

McNeely dressed for every game last season except for Florida’s loss to Alabama on Oct. 1. He appeared in seven contests during the 2011 campaign, including the final five.

While McNeely’s performance in fall camp remains a mystery to those outside the team, Pease’s disappointment in losing a walk-on to injury does not bode well for the Gators wide receivers group. Andre Debose led returning wideouts with 16 catches last season.

As the season opener nears, Pease is confident the receivers will be ready to take a step forward in 2012.

“I think the guys are understanding their role,” Pease said.

“Like I’ve told them, ‘If you want more, you better show consistency and create it.’ I think guys are kind of grasping onto that. I’m going to tell you this: We’re not just sticking anybody out there that looks pretty and can run. They better go out there and perform.”

No Scrimmage: Florida canceled its Tuesday scrimmage due to rain. With preparation for Bowling Green set to begin this weekend, it will not be rescheduled.

“It gets too close to the game time and you risk injuries and stuff like that,” Pease said.

With the scrimmage out of the picture, Pease stressed the need for additional practice time.

“We’ve still got to get more reps,” he said. “Especially the reps that we lost out on [Tuesday] that we’ll probably get on practice situations here on Thursday and Friday before we really start putting the game plan in.”

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.