<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-fa171f20-2b18-7282-c732-e81e4815c511"><span id="docs-internal-guid-fa171f20-2b18-7282-c732-e81e4815c511"><span id="docs-internal-guid-fa171f20-2b18-7282-c732-e81e4815c511"><span id="docs-internal-guid-fa171f20-2b18-7282-c732-e81e4815c511">The Florida men's basketball team will attempt to use last season's 77-70 loss to South Carolina in the Elite Eight to propel it on another impressive showing at the NCAA Tournament. <span id="docs-internal-guid-fa171f20-2b18-7282-c732-e81e4815c511"><span id="docs-internal-guid-fa171f20-2b18-7282-c732-e81e4815c511">“We have pieces that have been here,” UF guard Chris Chiozza said.</span></span></span></span></span></span></p>

The Florida men's basketball team will attempt to use last season's 77-70 loss to South Carolina in the Elite Eight to propel it on another impressive showing at the NCAA Tournament. “We have pieces that have been here,” UF guard Chris Chiozza said.

Former Florida forward Justin Leon shot a desperation three-pointer as time was about to expire in the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament on March 27, 2017.

Guard Chris Chiozza jumped up for the rebound, but as the buzzer sounded, all fight within him came to standstill.

He turned around and trudged off the court as the final score read 77 South Carolina, 70 Florida, marking a disappointing end to a deep tournament run for the Gators last season.

Fastforwarding 354 days later, Florida will attempt to use that feeling to propel it on another impressive showing at the NCAA Tournament starting Thursday night at 9:57 with a first round matchup against St. Bonaventure in Dallas.

“We have pieces that have been here,” Chiozza said. “The guys that were here last year, we’re trying to do as best a job we can getting everybody ready to prepare themselves mentally.”

The Bonnies are coming off a 65-58 win against UCLA in the First Four round of the bracket on Tuesday, one that saw them score the game’s final seven points in the last minute of play.

Forward Courtney Stockard led St. Bonaventure on Tuesday with 26 points on 9-of-20 shooting and didn’t come out of the game once. While he ranks third on the team in scoring, he is second in both rebounds per game and steals per game.

Stockard will be a challenge for Florida’s frontcourt led by forward Keith Stone and center Kevarrius Hayes. Stone is coming off a season-high 22 points in UF’s SEC Tournament loss to Arkansas on Friday, while Hayes has been the Gators’ main rim protector this season with 2.1 blocks per game.

Bonnies guards Jaylen Adams and Matt Mobley will also be a problem for Florida’s backcourt of Chiozza and KeVaughn Allen. Adams and Mobley lead the Bonnies in scoring, averaging 19.4 and 18.4 points per game, respectively.

“With those two guys, they’re complimented by Stockard, who is a really underrated guy in my opinion and a mismatched nightmare,” White said. “(He) compliments one of the best backcourts in the country, both offensively and defensively.”

While St. Bonaventure has already played in a tournament game, Florida is coming off a week-long rest.

A long period of time off didn’t help the Gators in an 80-72 loss against the Razorbacks, but they know what they need to do this time to get through the first round with a win.

“They play hard and fast, and we just have to match their physicality and stick to our game and try not to get too sped up by their defense,” Hayes said.

Follow Jake Dreilinger on Twitter @DreilingerJake, and contact him at jdreilinger@alligator.org.