<p>Junior Kelly Barnhill pitched 2+ innings and allowed three runs (one earned) in Florida's worst loss since 2011. </p>

Junior Kelly Barnhill pitched 2+ innings and allowed three runs (one earned) in Florida's worst loss since 2011. 

The luck of the Irish, green baseball hats and green stirrups weren’t enough for the Florida softball team to hold off Georgia in Game 2 of a three-game series.

The Gators received their third loss of the season Saturday afternoon at Jack Turner Stadium in Athens by a final score of 11-1, their worst margin of defeat in a game since losing to Arizona State 14-4 in the 2011 Women’s College World Series. It was also the first time Florida lost by mercy rule this season.

The Gators (22-3, 3-2 SEC) delayed getting on the board until the top of the third when left fielder Amanda Lorenz singled through the left side of the infield.

The base knock allowed teammate Hannah Adams to score the Gators only run of Saturday’s contest against the Bulldogs (26-1, 5-0 SEC).

Pitcher Kelly Barnhill started in the circle on Saturday afternoon for Florida, pitching a little over two innings before Natalie Lugo replaced her.

Barnhill’s last pitch of the day was a home run sent to left field, courtesy of Georgia’s Alysen DiCarlo, as the Bulldogs took a 3-1 lead. Barnhill allowed two hits and three total runs — two of which were unearned — during her time on the mound.

Lugo also struggled to hold off a tough Georgia offense. She allowed six runs in the bottom of the third, which put the Bulldogs up 9-1.

Freshman pitcher Katie Chronister relieved Lugo in the bottom of the fourth. The left-hander allowed the Bulldogs to score their final runs of the day.

Florida’s defense, which is normally a strong point, became the team’s own worst nemesis on the field Saturday with numerous miscommunications and fielding issues.

The errors started in the bottom of the first as utility player Aleshia Ocasio tried to make a catch in right-center field.

As Ocasio reached to catch the fly ball, she misjudged its distance and it bounced off the edge of her glove, causing it to skip past her in the outfield.

She hustled to retrieve the ball, but by the time she threw it back inside the diamond, Georgia’s DiCarlo had already made it safely to third base. DiCarlo would score the Bulldogs’ first run two plays later.

Florida ended the contest allowing six hits and three errors, the most miscues they’ve committed all season.

The Gators will hope to prevent a series sweep tomorrow afternoon as they take on the Bulldogs again at 2 p.m.

Follow Mari Faiello on Twitter @faiello_mari and contact her at mfaiello@alligator.com.