Kelly Barnhill baffles Georgia Southern on the way to hurling perfect game

<p>Junior Kelly Barnhill pitched her first career perfect game Sunday afternoon. </p>

Junior Kelly Barnhill pitched her first career perfect game Sunday afternoon. 

The sounds of about 1,600 clapping Gators fans resounded in Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium as pitcher Kelly Barnhill readied herself for the final throw of the day.

She took a deep breath and exhaled in a grunt as she let one loose from the circle.

Florida softball teams continues winning streak on Day 2 of Aquafina Invitational

It was the hit that no one saw coming.

Georgia Southern’s Hannah Farrell swung and missed as the ball found its way into catcher Janell Wheaton’s glove.

Barnhill had just completed her first career perfect game and third no-hitter of the season.

“I wasn’t really thinking about that,” Barnhill said. “The rule is you never think about it while you’re doing it, you just really try to live in the moment and go pitch by pitch, and that’s what we did today.”

With the help of Barnhill’s perfect pitching against the Eagles, Florida’s softball team (16-1) swept its doubleheader on Sunday, defeating Iowa State 3-0 and Georgia Southern 8-0 on Day 3 of theAquafina Invitational.

Barnhill shared the circle with utility player Aleshia Ocasio.

Ocasio threw 100 pitches against the Cyclones, allowing six hits and no runs, while Barnhill found her career-high success on the mound against the Eagles.

“(Barnhill has) been thinking a lot with her pitches and stuff,” catcher Janell Wheaton said. “But once she has her rise ball, she’s good and going. She had that today at all different levels.”

In the Gators’ matchup against Iowa State, Florida jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first with when left fielder Amanda Lorenz hit a double off the left field fence, allowing second baseman Hannah Adams to run home.

Sophia Reynoso changed things up Sunday afternoon in the top of the fourth when she fielded a ball from shortstop.

Reynoso quickly scooped up the ball, but instead of making a throw to first, she spun around and quickly hurled it to second, retiring Iowa State’s baserunner Taylor Nearad.

As the Gators approached the end of the fifth, the home crowd got anxious as Iowa State’s Skyler Ramos rounded third base following a single to center field from Jackie Chairez.

Ramos sprinted toward home plate as the ball soared through the air. But as Ramos slid into home, Wheaton caught a laser from Alex Voss and tagged Ramos out.

“We practice this all the time, practicing all different types of angles and speeds of the runner,” Wheaton said. “It was pitched perfect.”

As the Gators took on the Eagles in their second game of the day, much of the action was saved for the bottom of the first and third innings, scoring at least three runs apiece in both frames.

One of the game’s more memorable moments came in the bottom of the third as UF’s Nicole DeWitt stepped up to plate. With Adams on first base, DeWitt waited on a 1-2 pitch from Georgia Southern’s Kierra Camp.

Adams snuck away from first base, stealing second before catcher Logan Harrell’s throw made it to the base.

Thrown off from the previous play, Camp wasn’t able to regain control on the mound and walked DeWitt.

Outfielder Amanda Lorenz was up next to the plate. As a disheveled Camp sent a 3-2 pitch to the batter’s box, Lorenz sent the ball flying toward right field.

The yellow sphere disappeared behind the blue tarp-covered fence, giving Lorenz her first home run of the season and putting the Gators up 8-0.

Overall, the Gators had a successful weekend at home, finishing the Aquafina Invitational 6-0, ending four of their games in mercy-rule wins and recording one no-hitter and one perfect game.

Florida will travel to Fullerton, California, early Tuesday morning in preparation for the Judi Garman Classic. UF begins the event on Thursday at 5:30 p.m. in a matchup with Loyola Marymount.

Follow Mari Faiello on Twitter @faiello_mari and contact her at mfaiello@alligator.org.