‘UNFINISHED BUSINESS’: Florida advances to College World Series

<p>JJ Schwarz follows through on a swing during Florida's 2-1 loss to Mississippi State on April 10, 2016 at McKethan Stadium.</p>

JJ Schwarz follows through on a swing during Florida's 2-1 loss to Mississippi State on April 10, 2016 at McKethan Stadium.

The ball left JJ Schwarz’s bat, the crowd erupted, and the sophomore pointed out of the park as he began to run around the bases.

Florida had scored five runs in the last two days.

With one swing, Schwarz brought home four.

Behind Schwarz’s fifth-inning grand slam, No. 1-seed Florida defeated Florida State 7-0 in the NCAA Super Regionals on Monday night to advance to the College World Series.

“This group, from day one, has talked about winning a national championship,” coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. “I couldn’t be more proud of the way they handled the expectations from a team standpoint and how selfless they were individually.”

Junior A.J. Puk drew the start for Florida, and was largely inconsistent. Although he didn’t give up any runs, Puk walked six batters in 3.2 innings before being pulled for Dane Dunning.

Dunning earned his sixth win of the season, striking out five batters and allowing four hits through 4.1 innings.

Seven different UF (52-14) players recorded a hit on Monday, including Dalton Guthrie, who had three. The sophomore also scored two runs.

Peter Alonso added a home run to go along with his 2-for-4 outing.

Meanwhile, FSU (41-22) was held scoreless for the second-consecutive game, compiling just a .167 batting average.

“We hope — and pray — that we never come back down here again for a Super Regional,” FSU coach Mike Martin said.

Next, Florida will travel to Omaha, Nebraska, to participate in the CWS for the second-straight year.

“We’ve got a lot of unfinished business we need to take care of,” junior Buddy Reed said.

Contact Ian Cohen at icohen@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @icohenb.