<p>Freshman Jeremy Vasquez runs toward first base during Florida's 7-4 win against Alabama on March 28 at McKethan Stadium.</p>

Freshman Jeremy Vasquez runs toward first base during Florida's 7-4 win against Alabama on March 28 at McKethan Stadium.

After Alabama took a 4-3 lead in the top of the sixth inning on Saturday, No. 4 Florida was back on the defensive.

It was the second time in the three-game series the Gators saw their lead disappear right before their eyes — the first coming in a 12-9 overtime defeat in the series opener on Friday.

But this time, Florida held firm.

Freshman Jeremy Vasquez knocked in his second career home run in the bottom of the seventh to tie the game and then Florida brought in three more runs in the eighth inning to defeat Alabama 7-4 at McKethan Stadium and clinch its second Southeastern Conference series of the year.

Vasquez, who missed the first 16 games of the year with a hand injury, said he is able to bat with more power now that his hand is almost back to 100 percent.

“Now, I can get my barrel through the zone a lot quicker and I can just drive the ball a lot better,” the freshman first baseman said. “Every day, (my hand) is getting stronger, and I’m getting better.”

After Vasquez tied the game 4-4, all the momentum favored Florida (23-6, 5-4 SEC).

Alabama (14-12, 4-5 SEC) managed just one hit after recording six during the first six innings.

The Gators, on the other hand, finished the game on a high note.

Florida loaded the bases in the eighth off of a pair of walks and an Alabama throwing error before sophomore Buddy Reed laced a one-out single through the left side to score Dalton Guthrie and Richie Martin and give UF a 6-4 lead.

Freshman Mike Rivera added an insurance run with an RBI single through the right side two at-bats later.

“I just wanted to put the ball in play to help my team,” Reed said.

Sophomore A.J. Puk earned the win after tossing 3.1 scoreless innings of relief after being taken out of the starting rotation this weekend. He gave up one hit and struck out five of the first eight batters he faced.

“I’m not going to lie, getting pulled from the rotation isn’t my favorite thing,” Puk said. “I didn’t pitch well last week, so I wanted to come out this week and prove myself again. Hopefully, I’ll get another shot.”

Florida next travels to Jacksonville for its second game of the year against Florida State.

Series Notes: UF is now 15-5 against Alabama under coach Kevin O’Sullivan. … Florida posted a .358 team batting average in the series compared to Alabama’s .302 hitting clip. … The Gators hit five home runs against the Crimson Tide’s pitching staff, bringing UF’s season total to 25 after 29 games. Last season, Florida recorded 26 home runs.

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126