Sophomore infielder to switch positions for Florida baseball

<p>Dalton Guthrie (5) throws the ball to first baseman Peter Alonso (20) for a double play during Florida's 14-3 win against South Carolina on April 10, 2015, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

Dalton Guthrie (5) throws the ball to first baseman Peter Alonso (20) for a double play during Florida's 14-3 win against South Carolina on April 10, 2015, at McKethan Stadium.

Dalton Guthrie has big shoes to fill.

With former starting shortstop and 2015 first-round draft pick Richie Martin now gone, the sophomore infielder has been tasked with moving from second base, where he started last season, to the left side of the infield at shortstop.

So far, the transition has been seamless.

"It’s actually been a lot easier for me than I thought," Guthrie said.

But the move wasn’t as simple as it may seem.

Guthrie said he had to put on some weight, strengthen his legs and stretch out his arm to consistently throw across the diamond.

The Sarasota native is also taking on more of a leadership role with the position change, as a shortstop tends to run a lot of pick-off plays and call off other infielders on pop-ups.

So far, Guthrie has embraced the responsibility.

"I like it just kind of because you have more of a role at shortstop," he said. "Really it’s just you have to be more into the game defensively I guess, not that you don’t have to be defensively in the game at second, but it’s just more of a role."

Guthrie has had help adjusting to his new role. Martin, who was taking batting practice Tuesday at McKethan Stadium and has been in Gainesville the past couple days, has served as Guthrie’s mentor. Guthrie said Martin has helped him learn how to read pitches and opposing hitters’ swings to judge where the ball will travel.

"Really, it’s just figuring out what he does that was successful," Guthrie said. "I’m just trying to pick his brain a little bit."

Martin’s brain — and glove — was a big reason he was drafted so high, as he committed just nine errors in 325 chances in 2015.

In comparison, former Southeastern Conference shortstops and the first two picks of the 2015 MLB Draft Dansby Swanson and Alex Bregman committed eight and nine errors last season, respectively.

But Guthrie isn’t feeling the pressure of replacing Martin, and he said he doesn't worry about Martin’s statistics from last year.

"I don’t compare myself to Richie," he said. "I’m just going to play how I can play."

Though he knows learning the position will take some time, Florida pitcher Logan Shore said he has confidence in Guthrie making plays behind him.

"I think Dalton is going to do a great job," he said. "He’s going to kind of morph into Richie’s role, I think, really well.".

Contact Patrick Pinak at ppinak@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Pinakk12