The first inning started off shaky for A.J. Puk.

It took him 29 pitches to retire the side while allowing two hits and a walk.

“But I finally found a rhythm and everything fell into place,” Puk said.

Puk (9-3) pitched seven scoreless innings and struck out eight batters, leading fourth-seeded Florida (46-16) to an 8-2 victory over South Florida (34-25-1) on Saturday night.

The sophomore allowed just two hits after the first inning and retired 18 of the last 19 batters he faced.

“It starts on the mound. A.J. was really good again,” coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. “I also thought offensively we had good at-bats all night long.”

The Gators recorded a .308 batting average, led by Buddy Reed and Harrison Bader, who each finished with a two-run homer.

Eight of UF’s nine starters reached base, and the Gators recorded four doubles for the second straight game.

“It’s huge as a team,” Reed said. “With Puk’s great start and the offense and defense, we’re definitely looking forward to Game 3.”

After Reed and Bader homered in the third and fourth innings, respectively, Jeremy Vasquez doubled to right field in the fifth, scoring JJ Schwarz.

Florida added three more runs in the ninth after Peter Alonso doubled to center field, scoring Josh Tobias and Richie Martin. Alonso scored on a USF throwing error soon after.

Florida will play the winner of the game between Florida Atlantic and USF on Sunday.

“We’re gonna use this momentum for tomorrow and we’re just gonna come out and play our game,” Reed said.

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @icohenb