<p>Outfielder Buddy Reed celebrates with teammate Jonathan India (6) after hitting a three-run home run during Florida's 10-4 loss to Mississippi State on April 9, 2016, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

Outfielder Buddy Reed celebrates with teammate Jonathan India (6) after hitting a three-run home run during Florida's 10-4 loss to Mississippi State on April 9, 2016, at McKethan Stadium.

The Gators haven’t been swept in three years, and they were determined to keep it that way Saturday against LSU.

In the first inning of Game 3, JJ Schwarz smashed an RBI double as part of a two-run offensive frame — a big momentum swing after the Gators lost a resumed Game 1 7-3 just hours earlier.

But it wasn’t until freshman Jonathan India’s fifth-inning, bases-clearing double that helped propel No. 1 Florida (44-11, 19-10 Southeastern Conference) to a 6-2 seven-inning win over No. 8 LSU in Baton Rouge, salvaging one game in the series.

“India’s at-bat there was a big at-bat,” UF coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. “We needed that.”

The win earned the Gators the No. 4 seed and a first-round bye in the SEC Tournament next week, which means they’ll play the winner of Tuesday’s LSU-Tennessee matchup on Wednesday.

Florida starting pitcher Alex Faedo took a 2-0 lead into his first inning after freshman Deacon Liput followed Schwarz’s first-inning double with an RBI single.

The Tigers (39-17, 19-11 SEC) answered quickly in the bottom half.

Jake Fraley turned on a Faedo slider and homered into the right-field bleachers, cutting the Gators lead in half.

But Faedo, who didn’t have his best stuff, regrouped.

The sophomore allowed two runs over 5.1 innings, earning his conference-best 11th win.

The fifth inning proved to be a difference maker.

With the bases full, India laced a three-run double down the left-field line to break open the game and give UF a 5-1 advantage. After India stole third, he trotted home on Schwarz’s sacrifice fly.

LSU scored a run in the bottom of the fifth on Chris Reid’s RBI double but couldn’t climb back.

Florida closer Shaun Anderson nailed down the win by tossing the final 1.2 innings without surrendering a hit.

O’Sullivan said he didn’t want to take any chances with anyone but Anderson.

“The only matchup for us was to bring in our best guy with a lead,” he said.

Game 1, which was postponed Thursday due to inclement weather and resumed prior to Game 3, didn’t fall in Florida’s favor.

Freshman Brady Singer took the mound when play recommenced in the third inning — one that Logan Shore had started Thursday.

Singer allowed back-to-back singles that resulted in a 1-0 LSU lead before he struck out the next two.

Both teams plated a run in the fourth.

Florida tied the game at 1-1 when Schwarz doubled and later scored on a passed ball. But in the bottom half, the Tigers gained back their one-run lead on Greg Deichmann’s RBI single.

UF let the game slip away in the fifth.

Singer plunked Bryce Jordan and walked his brother Beau Jordan with the bases loaded to bring in two runs. Reliever Nick Horvath entered to try and stop the bleeding but was greeted by a Deichmann bases-clearing double that boosted LSU’s lead to 7-1.

Five earned runs over his 2.1 innings skyrocketed Singer’s season ERA to 4.78. The Leesburg native has struggled in SEC play, having allowed 15 earned runs in 15 innings.

The Gators fought back in the sixth, scoring two runs on India’s double and Nelson Maldonado’s single.

But Florida’s hit parade was quickly halted.

LSU reliever Parker Bugg retired UF’s final nine hitters in the last three innings, closing the game and clinching the series.

O’Sullivan said he liked the way his team fought despite the series loss.

“We knew it was gonna battle test us,” he said. “They earned a tough win today and I’m proud of them because it would’ve been easy to fold a tent today.”

A radio broadcast contributed to this report.

Contact Patrick Pinak at ppinak@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @Pinakk12.