Baseball
Baseball

After four games on the road, the Gators baseball team will have to wait one more day before playing its first game at McKethan Stadium in more than a week.

Thursday’s series opener between No. 4 Florida (21-5, 3-3 Southeastern Conference) and Alabama (13-10, 3-3 SEC) was postponed due to inclement weather.

As a result of the delay, the two teams will play a doubleheader today, with the first game starting at 3 p.m.

The second game of the series will begin 40 minutes after the conclusion of the opener.

Aaron Rhodes is still slated to start on the mound in the first game for the Gators, while Logan Shore will start the second game.

The start will be Rhodes’ first of the year. He has made seven appearances this season, giving up seven total runs (six earned) in 13.1 innings. Four of those seven runs came in Florida’s 7-2 loss to Miami on Feb. 21.

Shore, the 2014 National Freshman of the Year, has struggled in his last two outings.

The sophomore right-handed pitcher from Coon Rapids, Minnesota, has suffered back-to-back losses for the second time in his collegiate career.

After starting the season with 19.2 consecutive innings without allowing a runner to cross home plate, Shore gave up five runs in six innings of work in Florida’s 6-3 loss to Tennessee on March 13.

One week later in UF’s 4-1 series-opening loss to Ole Miss, Shore gave up two more runs in 3.2 innings.

His ERA is now 2.17.

"He’s going through a tough time," coach Kevin O’Sullivan said Wednesday. "He’s just got to battle through it, and he will."

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126