<p>UF first baseman JJ Schwarz prepares to swing during Florida's 5-4 win against William &amp; Mary on Feb. 17, 2017, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

UF first baseman JJ Schwarz prepares to swing during Florida's 5-4 win against William & Mary on Feb. 17, 2017, at McKethan Stadium.

Like Spongebob without water, JJ Schwarz needed it. He really, really needed it.

His .205 batting average needed it. His ratio of 22 strikeouts to 16 hits entering Tuesday’s game needed it. And most of all, his team — coming off being swept against Auburn and trailing on the road — needed it.

So Schwarz delivered.

Facing an 0-2 count with the bases loaded, two outs and UF’s offense in desperate need of a spark, the junior first baseman smacked a ball into center field, plating two runs and giving the Gators their first lead of the game in the top of the fifth inning.

But that wasn’t enough.

Stetson came back, tying the game and sending it to extra innings before pinch hitter Mark Kolosvary entered in a similar situation. Bases loaded. No outs. Top of the 10th.

And like Schwarz, he delivered.

Kolosvary chopped a high-bouncing single that never left the infield but drove in two runs. The Gators picked up two more in the inning to carry a four-run lead into the bottom of the 10th.

It still wasn’t enough.

Stetson came back and tied the game at eight.

Finally, shortstop Christian Hicks entered in a similar situation once again. Bases loaded. One out. Top of the 11th.

For the third and final time, he delivered for the Gators.

In a game that saw 11 pitching changes, 33 hits and lasted over four hours, Hicks’ RBI groundout gave UF a one-run lead that was finally enough as the No. 13 Gators outlasted the Hatters 9-8 on Tuesday night in DeLand.

The offensive breakthrough was much needed for UF (14-8), which entered the game ranked last in the SEC with a .240 batting average.

In the win, eight Florida players picked up hits, including four with multiple. Six players also picked up RBIs, with catcher Mike Rivera joining Schwarz and Kolosvary with two apiece.

The pitching breakdowns, however, were not as welcome.

Florida starter Nate Brown tossed 2.1 innings while allowing one earned run. Southpaw reliever Nick Horvath did the same.

Then there was Michael Byrne.

The sophomore’s night started innocuously enough. He breezed through 2.1 innings, mowing down the Hatters (8-15) with five strikeouts. But in the bottom of the eighth, he got into trouble.

Stetson strung some hits together, plating a pair of runs and tying the game at four. It was Byrne who blew Florida’s first lead.

Freshman Tyler Dyson came on to clean up the mess, and he did, though not without a close call.

Second baseman Deacon Liput had to throw out SU’s Kirk Sidwell at home to preserve the tie, leading to protests and a series of incredulous head jerks from Hatters coach Steve Trimper.

Moments later, Dyson struck out Stetson’s Ben Rowdon with a heater framed by catcher Mike Rivera, who pumped his fist on the way into the dugout.

However, Rivera wasn't fist pumping in the next inning when Dyson loaded the bases before being relieved by freshman Garrett Milchin, who was relieved by Andrew Baker after one out, who was relieved by Kirby McMullen after another out. It was the trio of Dyson, Milchin and Baker who blew UF’s second lead.

But finally, McMullen, given the ball with a one-run lead in the bottom of the 11th, was able to shut the door on the Hatters, giving the Gators their first road win of the season and some much-needed momentum ahead of a weekend series against No. 4 LSU.

Contact Ethan Bauer at ebauer@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @ebaueri.