The Gators got on the board first Friday night, but the Gamecocks got the best of them.

No. 15 Florida (21-13, 7-6 Southeastern Conference) scored a run in the first inning, but No. 5 South Carolina (28-5, 8-5 SEC) scored three in the fifth, which proved to be enough to win the opener of a three-game series at Carolina Stadium in Carolina, S.C.

“On the road, you got to make your good pitches when you need to and you have to have good at-bats when you need to,” coach Kevin O’Sullivan said in a radio interview. “We did just enough to stay in the ballgame, but unfortunately we didn’t do quite enough to get over the hump.”

UF scored a run early when catcher Taylor Gushue hit a two-out single to score shortstop Richie Martin from second in the first inning, but USC pitcher Jordan Montgomery held the Gators scoreless for the rest of his seven innings of work. Montgomery struck out eight Florida batters while picking up the victory.

“I thought Montgomery threw the ball really good,” O’Sullivan said. “I thought he had his changeup going, he used his breaking ball early in the count.”

Gators freshman Logan Shore matched Montgomery for most of the game, but it was the one inning where he struggled the most that cost him the game.

In the bottom of the fifth, Shore walked South Carolina second baseman DC Arendas on seven pitches. Two singles, a fielder’s choice and a sacrifice bunt later, the Gamecocks had a 3-1 lead.

The Gators’ bats failed to come alive, leaving runners on base in nearly every inning.

But Florida will have a chance to even the series Saturday. Sophomore Aaron Rhodes (3-2, 2.48 ERA) will make his first start of the season against South Carolina’s Jake Wynkoop (5-2, 2.49) at 4 p.m.