Column: The World Baseball Classic is every bit fun as it is important

<p>Puerto Rico's Carlos Correa celebrates after scoring in winning run on a hit by Eddie Rosario in the 11th inning of a semifinal against the Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic in Los Angeles, Monday, March 20, 2017. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)</p>

Puerto Rico's Carlos Correa celebrates after scoring in winning run on a hit by Eddie Rosario in the 11th inning of a semifinal against the Netherlands in the World Baseball Classic in Los Angeles, Monday, March 20, 2017. (AP Photo/Chris Carlson)

When Yadier Molina was asked how much winning the World Baseball Classic meant to him, he didn’t hesitate.

“It means just as much, if not more,” he told USA Today.

Puerto Rico’s catcher was referencing winning the World Series, a feat he’s done twice as a member of the St. Louis Cardinals. He then uttered the words that fuel the World Baseball Classic.

“This is for our country,” he said. “You get emotional when you play for your country.”

That he was. 

The watery-eyed Molina watched as the United States bested Puerto Rico last night in Los Angeles and were crowned world champs for the first time in the classic's 12-year history. Though it's now over, why not shine a spotlight on baseball's Olympic Games?

This tournament, one that takes place every four years, is the real World Series. That’s evident by Molina’s words.

Earth’s greatest baseball players congregate to represent their respective home countries. Some leave their MLB teams' spring training schedules behind for what becomes the planet’s pastime, not just America’s.

The result, as you’d expect, is spectacular.

Take the Netherlands’ Wladimir Balentien for example. He served up one of the most absurd and obnoxious bat-flipped home runs of all time vs Puerto Rico.

And everyone loved it, partially because you’d never see that in the MLB.

There’s the USA, which wows with breathtaking plays.

Giancarlo Stanton blasted a home run that nearly knocked over an industrial building at Petco Park against the Dominican Republic. In that same game, centerfielder Adam Jones robbed Baltimore Orioles teammate Manny Machado of a home run, giving us not only the catch of the year so far, but a wondrous, patriotic moment.

One also can’t forget the Dominican Republic’s Fernando Rodney, who pulled a rally plantain out of his pants during introductions two weeks ago.

Then there’s Puerto Rico.

Oh, the blond-haired, slick-fielding, exciting Puerto Rican team.

Besides the fact that its members died their hair blond (because blondes have more fun, obviously), there’s so much to love about this squad.

It features one of baseball's great young players in the Houston Astros’ Carlos Correa, and one of the flashiest — no wait, the flashiest — player in the game in the Chicago Cubs’ Javier Baez, who has impressed with no-look tags and swim-move slides.

And you can’t leave out Molina, the veteran backstop who can seemingly do no wrong when behind the plate.

There’s a lot to love about the World Baseball Classic. Too much to fit in this column.

During a time when the NFL is talking about banning field goal leaps and everything else that makes its sport entertaining, the World Baseball Classic is doing the exact opposite.

Combining fun and meaningful baseball? Nothing beats that.

Patrick Pinak is the online sports editor. His column appears on Thursdays. Contact him at ppinak@alligator.org, and follow him on Twitter @pinakk12.