<p>UF designated hitter JJ Schwarz bats during Florida's 4-1 loss to Auburn on May 15, 2015, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

UF designated hitter JJ Schwarz bats during Florida's 4-1 loss to Auburn on May 15, 2015, at McKethan Stadium.

After giving up a late lead in its first match of the Southeastern Conference tournament, Florida faces elimination today.

Arkansas‘ Bobby Wernes hit a two-run homer in the ninth inning to upset UF 7-6 early Thursday morning.

The No. 5-seed Gators (40-16) entered the ninth with a two-run lead, but gave up three runs off two homers in a game that lasted until nearly 3 a.m.

JJ Schwarz was a bright spot for Florida — the freshman went 3-for-4 at the plate and finished with a game-high three RBIs.

On the mound, Florida saw more of the inconsistency that has plagued it at times this season.

Starter Dane Dunning lasted just 1.1 innings after allowing three runs and walking three batters, and senior Bobby Poyner blew the save after giving up three runs in the final inning.

Arkansas (35-20) opened the scoring after Dunning walked a batter with the bases loaded and then hit the Razorbacks’ Clark Eagan, all in the second inning. UA increased its lead to three after a sacrifice bunt scored a runner from third base.

Florida responded with three runs of its own in the bottom half of the inning after a Schwarz two-run double and a RBI single from Mike Rivera.

Florida was the next to score in the fifth after Harrison Bader grounded out to first, scoring Richie Martin from third. Schwarz scored another run with a double, and Mike Rivera hit a double of his own to give UF a 6-3 lead.

Arkansas brought the score within two after a RBI single from Brett McAfee in the seventh inning.  

Andrew Benintendi solo homered in the ninth to bring Arkansas within one, and Wernes sealed the victory with his home run soon after.

Florida will face No. 9-seed Auburn at 2 p.m. today in a must-win game to avoid elimination.

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @icohenb