<p>UF's Peter Alonso bats during Florida's win against South Carolina on April 10, 2015, at McKethan Stadium.</p>

UF's Peter Alonso bats during Florida's win against South Carolina on April 10, 2015, at McKethan Stadium.

Off of strong relief pitching from Aaron Rhodes and a timely sacrifice fly from Peter Alonso, Florida edged past Auburn Friday night.

The No. 6 Gators (39-15, 18-11 Southeastern Conference) defeated the Tigers (34-21, 13-16 SEC) 4-3, setting up a series-finale rubber game on Saturday at 1 p.m before Florida begins preparing for postseason play.

“Our guys know what’s at stake. It’s a big game, and tonight was just as important,” coach Kevin O’Sullivan said. “(Auburn’s pitchers) kept us off balance, and we just had to keep grinding it out.”

Left hander A.J. Puk gave up three runs in the first three innings, but also struck out six different batters. Puk was pulled for Rhodes (2-0), who allowed just one hit in a season-high three innings of work.

“It meant a lot, especially on senior day to be able to go out and do that for everybody and the team,” Rhodes said. “It was exciting to go out there and throw a few zero’s.”

With the game scoreless in the second inning, Auburn scored two runs on a sacrifice fly to left field and a sacrifice bunt. An RBI single in the same inning increased the lead to 3-0.

Florida responded in the fourth, scoring three runs of its own after a Richie Martin sacrifice fly, a Josh Tobias double and a Peter Alonso single.

With the game tied in the sixth inning, Alonso lined out to right field, but Martin had ample time to score from third base and give the Gators the lead.

Left-hander Kirby Snead relieved Rhodes in the eighth inning and pitched two scoreless innings to seal the game for Florida.

“It’s always important to come back after the first game of the series,” Alonso said. “It was a tough one, but we grinded it out and got a win.”

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @icohenb