Florida bats keep CWS hopes alive with win over Virginia

<p><span>UF's Peter Alonso (right) celebrates with teammate Harrison Bader after Bader's solo home run in the first inning of Florida's 14-3 win against the South Carolina Gamecocks on April 11 at McKethan Stadium.</span></p>

UF's Peter Alonso (right) celebrates with teammate Harrison Bader after Bader's solo home run in the first inning of Florida's 14-3 win against the South Carolina Gamecocks on April 11 at McKethan Stadium.

Virginia’s Nathan Kirby hadn’t pitched since April 17, and in his first start back on Friday, the junior was faced with the task of limiting one of the nation’s hottest teams at the plate.

For two innings, it looked like Kirby would manage it.

But in the third, Florida put two runners on base, and after Harrison Bader grounded out to first to score UF’s first run, the Gators tacked on three more runs to take the lead for good.

No. 5 national seed Florida (52-17) defeated Virginia (41-23) 10-5 on Friday in the College World Series. It was UF’s sixth NCAA Tournament game in which it scored at least 10 runs, and second win of the CWS for sophomore right-hander Logan Shore.

Florida and Virginia will play again on Saturday, with the winner advancing to the CWS Championship.

“I just think we’re coming together as a team at the right time,” shortstop Richie Martin said. “Throughout the season, we hadn’t really put everything together as an offense, defense and pitching wise. It’s nice to get this going in the postseason when it matters.”

Shore (11-6) gave up four runs and eight hits through six innings, but limited UVA’s bats for most of the game. With one out and the bases loaded in the seventh, Shore was relieved by senior left-hander Bobby Poyner, who allowed two hits and one run in the final three innings.

“You know, especially when I’m on the mound, it seems like every single game we’re putting up double digit runs,” Shore said. “It gives you a lot of confidence going into the game.”

Martin finished with a game-high three hits and two RBIs, including a double in the third inning to give the Gators a 2-1 lead over the Cavaliers.

Entering the sixth inning leading 4-1, UF scored five more runs as nine different players reached base.

Bader and Mike Rivera recorded two RBIs each, and freshman JJ Schwarz finished with two hits and two runs batting cleanup.

Left-hander A.J. Puk or right-hander Dane Dunning will start for Florida in tomorrow’s elimination game.

“We’ve responded all year long when we’ve had our back against the wall, and we’re obviously excited about the opportunity to play Virginia tomorrow,” coach Kevin O’Sullivan said.

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @icohenb.