Column: How Tebow’s first minor league action stacks up against other notable players

<p>Columbia Fireflies outfielder Tim Tebow looks out from the dugout before the team's minor league baseball game against the Augusta GreenJackets on Thursday, April 6, 2017, in Columbia, S.C. Columbia defeated Augusta 14-7. (AP Photo/Sean Rayford)</p>

Columbia Fireflies outfielder Tim Tebow looks out from the dugout before the team's minor league baseball game against the Augusta GreenJackets on Thursday, April 6, 2017, in Columbia, S.C. Columbia defeated Augusta 14-7. (AP Photo/Sean Rayford)

Tim Tebow’s first taste of minor league ball can be considered successful or unsuccessful depending how you look at it.

On the one hand, the 29-year-old has blasted two home runs and totaled five RBIs and three runs through just six games with the Class A Columbia Fireflies. That in itself is pretty impressive for Tebow, no matter the pitching.

Then there’s the negative. He owns a .174 clip through 23 at-bats and has struck out nine times while only walking twice. Those numbers are more what you would expect from a player as raw as Tebow.

Though Tebow has struggled for the most part as a member of the New York Mets organization, it’s not unusual for prospects and future stars to encounter difficulties at the plate early in their career.

Here are just a few big names and the starts to their careers. Keep in mind minor league game logs for older players aren’t readily available online:

Babe Ruth, first five career games in 1914: 2-for-10 (.200), 1 2B, 1 R, 0 HR, 0 RBI, 4 K, 0 BB.

Sorry, I had to. One of the greatest hitters of all time was actually a pitcher to start his career with the Boston Red Sox, which may explain this stat line. Regardless, I think it’s fair to say Tebow won’t go on to play 22 years in the bigs or hit 714 home runs.

Mike Zunino, first five games in minors in 2012: 7-for-17 (.412), 1 2B, 3 HR, 6 R, 3 RBI, 3 BB, 3 K.

While Tebow was busy competing for a spot with the New York Jets in 2012, Zunino was winning the Golden Spikes Award before being drafted third overall out of Florida by the Seattle Mariners. Zunino hasn’t quite found his stride in the majors since, but maybe he’ll stick around long enough to play against his fellow Gator.

Bo Jackson, first five games for the Kansas City Royals in 1986: 8-for-20 (.400), 3 R, 1 2B, 0 HR, 1 RBI, 5 K, 0 BB, 1 SB.

Only two Heisman Trophy winners have ever played in the MLB. The first is a name you’ve never heard of, Vic Janowicz. The second is one of the greatest athletes ever. Tebow doesn’t nearly have the physical attributes that Bo Jackson had, but he’s a pretty big guy at 6-foot-3, 255 pounds. Tebow Knows, anybody?

Bryce Harper, first five games in minors in 2011: 4-for-19 (.211), 2 R, 0 HR, 3 RBI, 7 K, 2 BB, 1 SB.

Even Washington Nationals superstar Bryce Harper struggled initially with the Class A Hagerstown Suns. And look, zero home runs from a former first overall pick! “Take that, Bryce” — Tebow, probably (not).

Barry Bonds, first five career games with Pittsburgh Pirates in 1986: 4-for-17 (.235), 3 R, 2 2B, 0 HR, 1 RBI, 5 BB, 7 K.

Yes, MLB’s all-time home run leader didn’t have a home run through his first 17 at-bats. Tebow has two already. Sure this was from Bonds’ first action in the majors, but who’s to say Tebow can’t follow in his footsteps. Right??

Michael Jordan, honorable mention:

The two have been compared quite a bit since Tebow took up baseball. But one was the greatest player in his sport at the time while the other was a failed quarterback that couldn’t last in the NFL.

However, the only stat you need to know is that MJ didn’t hit his first homer for the Class AA Birmingham Barons in 1994 until his 354th at-bat. Tebow did so in his first at-bat. I guess Tebow’s more clutch.

Patrick Pinak is the online sports editor. His column appears on Thursdays. Contact him at ppinak@alligator.org, and follow him on Twitter @pinakk12.