<p>Devin Robinson talks with reporters during Florida's Media Day on Oct. 4, 2016.</p>

Devin Robinson talks with reporters during Florida's Media Day on Oct. 4, 2016.

Last season, redshirt senior Dorian Finney-Smith was the clear-cut leader in Florida’s frontcourt.

His 14.7 points and 8.3 rebounds per game led the team, and he was by far the Gators’ most reliable defender.

Finney-Smith, an All-Southeastern Conference player, had been through it all in his time at UF: a trip to the Final Four, an SEC Championship, a losing season and two head coaches. His departure from the squad at the end of last season left a gaping hole in Florida’s frontcourt as well as unanswered questions.

Who would take over his role at the forward position? Who would be the team’s go-to scorer, shooter and rebounder?

After the conclusion of Florida’s scrimmage on Friday afternoon, some of those questions may have been answered.

Devin Robinson coming into his own in third year: Devin Robinson has largely struggled during his time at UF. The 6-foot-8, 195-pound junior averaged just nine points and 5.6 rebounds per game last season and found himself in and out of the starting lineup.

He lacked consistency.

This preseason, he may have found it.

Robinson knocked down two three-pointers to begin Friday’s scrimmage on his way to a team-high 23 points on 8-of-9 shooting, including 4-for-4 from beyond the arc.

“He’s shooting the ball well,” UF coach Mike White said. “He had a very good day.”

Robinson showed no signs of the stress fracture he sustained in his left foot at the end of last season, which kept him from testing his potential at the NBA Draft.

On a fast break during the scrimmage, the lanky, athletic forward rocketed into the air and slammed home an alley-oop dunk.

“He’s as strong as he’s ever been,” White said.

Kevarrius Hayes has silently improved his offense: Kevarrius Hayes was a non-factor on the offensive end of the court last season. In his freshman campaign, the 6-foot-9 forward averaged 2.8 points per game. And although he likely won’t be a huge contributor on offense this season, Hayes demonstrated at Friday’s scrimmage that he has made strides in his scoring abilities. The sophomore scored 11 points on 5-of-6 shooting, including an alley-oop dunk from guard KeVaughn Allen during the third quarter of the scrimmage.

Earlier in the game, Hayes connected on two left-handed hook shots where he was fouled by his defender — he converted on the first of the two and-one opportunities.

Keith Stone looks ready to play: He wasn’t ready last year. Due to a crowded frontcourt, the coaching staff encouraged Keith Stone to take a redshirt season in order to refine his game and body.

It seemed to have worked.

Now a chiseled 240 pounds, Stone proved at Friday’s scrimmage that he is ready to challenge for significant playing time in his redshirt freshman season.

From the first quarter, Stone was the most active player on the floor. He effectively used his 6-foot-8 frame to snag rebounds and score in the paint. Stone tallied 11 points on 5-of-9 shooting and grabbed a team-high 12 rebounds, including five offensive boards.

He also showed the ability to hit from long range. During the second quarter of the scrimmage, Stone had the ball near the top of the key beyond the three-point line. He calmly faced his defender and drilled a three over the defender’s outstretched arms.

Up Next: The Gators will soon get their first chance to apply what they’ve learned in practice. Florida takes on Eckerd College in an exhibition game on Wednesday night in Jacksonville.

“The challenge is to just do your job,” White said. “Potentially we could have a different guy, on most nights, that steps up for us offensively.”

Contact Ray Boone at rboone@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @rboone1994.