<p>UF center John Egbunu shoots a free throw during Florida's 93-54 win over Missouri on Feb. 2, 2017, in the O'Connell Center.&nbsp;</p>

UF center John Egbunu shoots a free throw during Florida's 93-54 win over Missouri on Feb. 2, 2017, in the O'Connell Center. 

No. 15 Florida will finish the season without its starting center.

John Egbunu, the 6-foot-11 junior from Nigeria, tore his left ACL in Tuesday’s win against Auburn and is not expected to recover for at least 10 to 12 months, the team announced on Wednesday.

The redshirt junior started 19 of 24 games for the Gators and leads the team with 6.6 rebounds per game. Egbunu was coming off back-to-back double-digit scoring games for the first time this season.

“We’re all disappointed for John,” coach Mike White said in a release. “He’s been playing really well of late, so it’s a tough blow to him and our team.

“He’s a great young man, and unfortunately injuries are a part of basketball. He’ll be back even stronger.”

Florida also announced on Wednesday that backup center freshman Gorjok Gak sprained his left foot in practice and is projected to be out for 10 to 14 days.

The injuries come when UF (21-5, 11-2 SEC) is on a seven-game winning streak with just five regular-season games yet to be played.

Sophomore forward Kevarrius Hayes is the most likely candidate to start in Egbunu’s place. Hayes started five games at center earlier in the season when Egbunu had a hamstring injury and is averaging 6.2 points and 3.8 rebounds in 15.4 minutes per game this year.

With Gak also out, senior Schuyler Rimmer — who has played just 83 minutes this season — will likely back up Hayes at the center slot. Florida’s 6-foot-8 forward Justin Leon also played center in high school and may get time at center when UF plays smaller lineups.

@MattB_727

mbrannon@alligator.org