• December 22, 2014

NBA Draft Preview: Young expected to be first Gator taken

Eleven UF players have been selected in NBA Draft since ‘07

Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:19 pm | Updated: 12:07 am, Thu Jun 19, 2014.

The 2014 NBA Draft is a week away and the top of the draft board is beginning to take shape.

The consensus top three picks for the draft according to a compilation of mock drafts by NBA.com are a trio of freshmen: Kansas center Joel Embiid, Duke shooting forward Jabari Parker and Kansas shooting forward Andrew Wiggins. In fact, eight of the top 14 picks are projected to be freshmen, while just one senior — Creighton’s Doug McDermott, a three-time first-team All-American and the 2014 National Player of the Year — is expected to be taken with one of those top picks.

But while the top of the draft starts to show some signs of certainty, projecting where former Florida players will be drafted still remains an uncertainty.

Patric Young is the lone UF athlete consistently showing up on draft boards. Young, who measured in at 6-foot-10 and 247 pounds at the NBA Combine, is the No. 34 overall prospect and No. 3 center according to ESPN’s Chad Ford.

Although ESPN ranks Young as a late-first round pick, most mock drafts slate the former Gators center and Jacksonville native as a mid-second round selection.

Young, the 2014 Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year and an honorable mention AP All-American, paced the Gators with 41 blocks while ranking 12th in the SEC with 6.2 rebounds per game. He finished his UF career as the 11th player in Gators history to finish his career with at least 1300 points and 800 rebounds.

Fellow Florida players Scottie Wilbekin and Casey Prather, the No. 74 and No. 95 prospects on Ford’s Top 100 list, could squeeze in as late second round picks but are likely to go undrafted.

Wilbekin was the 2014 SEC Player of the Year and a third-team All-American after averaging 13.1 points per game and led the Gators with 3.6 assists per game and 56 steals in a team-best 34 minutes per contest, but off-the-field issues could leave teams hesitant of drafting him.

Prather, who averaged just 3.1 points per game in his first three years with Florida, led the Gators in his senior campaign with 13.8 points per contest and paced the SEC with a .603 shooting clip. The first-team All-SEC selection also set career-highs in rebounds per game (5.0), assists per game (1.6), total steals (37) and total blocks (20) in his final collegiate season.

Since Florida won its last national championship in 2007, 11 former Gators have been drafted — five were first-round choices — with at least one UF player being selected in every draft with the exception of 2010.

UF’s 2007 draft class saw five players — Al Horford (third), Corey Brewer (seventh), Joakim Noah (ninth), Chris Richard (41st) and Taurean Green (52nd) — taken in the 60-pick draft, tying with the 2006 UConn class for the most players selected in one year until the 2012 draft when Kentucky had six players drafted.

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126

1 comment:

• glen b posted at 4:53 am on Fri, Jun 20, 2014.

glen b Posts: 17

If this seems like overposting, I generally publish when I've been assaulted, or when my privacy is ignored. Thousands of times over the past decade now, I'm sure that estimate is accurate....With either the willfully blind approval or the willful ignorance of the judiciary the right has killed & stolen several of my pets and routinely shoots energy weaponry at me and my pets. Recent harm to animals include: two kittens from a pregnant stray i took in were killed a few months ago. The remaining two, just 9 weeks old, shake their head as government operatives shoot them with energy weaponry. They shot the eye out or removed the eye of a large really good natured stray at the port, hobbled another cat at the port, shooting it with energy weaponry, and routinely kill and leave dead animals in my path. A few years ago one of them threatened 'we'll just kill a cat every so often', in so many words. This has continued despite my calls to the police, the FBI, Congress, and my petitions in court. In the usual case, it appears that the right goes to a judicial crony for a ruling permitting them to harm animals to retaliate against me for my free speech. There's no serious argument but that they interfered with my personal life and economic options for 3 decades, so their solution to my noting it is to kill animals. Makes perfect sense right? It does if you're a sociopathic criminal, criminally stupid, and hawkish. Invariably their lies are exposed and the wrongfulness of the harm is clear to everyone, though not until the animals have been maimed or killed. There is really only one solution, and that's to disempower them politically.
    Typically operating through puppets--including puppets in the judiciary--the right wing has for decades been committing crimes and trying to classify them to cover them up, a move explicitly forbidden by the Code of Federal Regulations. The right has accomplished its political objectives by presenting a fraction of the evidence to judicial officials who, having seen the pattern dozens of times before, could not help but realize that they were being presented with incomplete and inaccurate information.
    If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth, right? the Democrats' great accomplishment is producing the political equivalent of a Rodney King video, clearly demonstrating the lies of the right, the right Hilary Clinton correctly identified as a vast conspiracy. Confirm by examining Central District of California Cases, 01-4340, 03-9097, 08-5515, 10-5193, US Tax Court 12000-07L --though I think you want to view my US Tax Court Appeal to the 9th Circuit for a good account of their day to day assaults, a few month time slice indicative of a decade of assault, and more 9th Circuit case 11-56043.